Win 7 Ultimate x64 Won't Shut Down/Restart Properly RRS feed

• Question

• Whenever I (or any installation/update) attempts to restart or shut down my machine, it makes it as far as the "Shutting Down..." screen with the spinning blue wheel.

This DOES NOT happen in SAFE MODE. (Also, I've tried booting in safe mode with networking to run updater in the event that this fixes some unseen problem, but updater won't start for me in safe mode)

It DOES happen on CLEAN BOOT.

At my wit's end here.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:40 AM

Answers

• This issue can be caused by one of the loaded third party drivers that is not compatible with Windows 7. I suggest you check the driver signature. To do so, in Start Search box enter sigverif.exe. Then click the start button in “File Signature Verification”. In the result list, please pick up *.sys files, rename one of them and then shut down or restart to check if the issue still occurs. If the issue persists, rename another *.sys file listed in the result of driver signature verifying, and check result again. By doing so we can determine which un-singed driver is the root cause.

Another way is enable muni-dump and use Windbg. Please refer:

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

You may paste the result in your next post for analyzing.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 13, 2010 9:46 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:24 AM

All replies

• Further update:

I have attempted both an "In-place" update and a clean install. In both instances, when the restart portion of our regularly scheduled program happens, it hangs again, preventing a successful upgrade or re-install.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:24 AM
  • This issue can be caused by one of the loaded third party drivers that is not compatible with Windows 7. I suggest you check the driver signature. To do so, in Start Search box enter sigverif.exe. Then click the start button in “File Signature Verification”. In the result list, please pick up *.sys files, rename one of them and then shut down or restart to check if the issue still occurs. If the issue persists, rename another *.sys file listed in the result of driver signature verifying, and check result again. By doing so we can determine which un-singed driver is the root cause.

Another way is enable muni-dump and use Windbg. Please refer:

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

You may paste the result in your next post for analyzing.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 13, 2010 9:46 AM
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:24 AM