none
Permissions to Mount and Unmount Image do not match RRS feed

• Question

• In App Controller (update rollup 2, not SP1 yet), it appears that there is a mismatch of permissions for self-service users to mount and unmount an ISO image. In particular, a user without the Remove permission cannot unmount an ISO image that he just mounted. I don't think this makes sense, because the idea would be to prevent users from accidentally deleting VMs by not granting them the Remove action. Unmounting an ISO does not logically fall under that permission, and should instead be contained within the same permission that grants the ability to mount the image in the first place.

Anyone know if this changes in SP1? If not, that would be a good change to make.

Thanks, 

Noah

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Noah,

I'm talking to some of the folks working on VMM to clarify this behavior.

Do you get an error message when attempting to unmount the ISO, or is the command disabled in App Controller? If you get an error message - can you add the details to the post?

Thanks

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Hi Richard,

There is no error associated with this. The behavior is that the Unmount Image option is disabled in the App Controller menu bar. The sequence of events is this:

1. User without "Remove" permission clicks "Mount image" from menu bar.

2. User selects ISO, and confirms.

3. The ISO mounts onto the VM.

4. The user attempts to unmount the ISO using "Unmount image", but that option is disabled.

Based on that, I guessed that this was implemented this way. Is this true? Thanks,

Noah

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:17 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem, but with Appcontroller 2012 SP1 UR3. Any comments from Microsoft to this? The behaivour doesnt make sense at all to me.

Regards

Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:26 PM
  • Hi,

i have exactly the same problem, any news????

Best Regards

jcerny

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Is there documentation detailing how all this works? The guide is kind of simple on that part.

Only the owner can take those actions? What if the machine is in a "Dev" cloud, do I need to share the machine with the group, so the other can also work with them?

It is kind of confusing for the users.

Thank you,

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 3:01 PM
  • I have just created a test user, which belongs to some clouds and belongs to a role, which has the following rights:

The user can't mount images. It can unmounts them, though, which is weird.

The test user is not the owner, but the machine is "shared" with the Self-Service Role to which he belongs.

I then assigned a test machine to the cloud, then set the test user as owner. I could unmounts the iso, but couldn't mount it back.

Now, if I give the role "Deploy" rights (even if it is "from Template only"), it will allow the user to mount images.

I think the logic is that if I don't want them to deploy, I don't give them any templates. Kind of tricky...

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

i have deployed SCVMM 2012 R2 and AppController 2012 R2 and the option "Unmount image" is still disabled (mount image is working...). Is it bug again?

Best regards

jcerny

• Edited by jcerny Monday, November 4, 2013 1:03 PM
    Monday, November 4, 2013 1:02 PM
  • Any resolution with this?
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:15 PM
  • if you choose to grant Deploy and Remove actions the mount/unmount options should be available.
    Wednesday, January 8, 2014 9:38 PM