none
Server 2016 load balancing - How to properly configure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am having issues setting up Server 2016 RDS load balancing or more specifically how to properly configure it.

I have scanned the web for a definitive answer on how this should be configured but can not find an answer which works and is 'best practice'.

Everywhere I search suggests to use DNS round robin which I have read is not the best solution based on the following:

1. If a host is offline, there will be a delay until sessions get put onto the secondary host

2. Server 2012 / 2016 has load balancing features

3. I have found and read that DNS round robin is an old method of achieving this and should not be used unless for specific requirements.

I understand that server 2016 has load balancing features on the RDS Session Broker role, however I can not seem to get this to work how I intend to use it. The feature works for the collection aspect via rdweb but not if I want to RDP to the session hosts and have a full desktop experience.

When I try to RDP to the broker server, I get an unauthorized message to suggest that the connection is putting me onto the session broker server and not one of the session hosts.

I have read multiple articles about the requirement to have a custom RDP shortcut with the collection in the name. I have added RDP to the collection and downloaded it in Chrome from rdweb but it still gives me the same result as above.

To recap I am trying to achieve the following:

1. User RDP's to session broker

2. Session broker then load balances based on relative weight

3. User is then put onto one of 2 RDS Session hosts

4. Secondary user RDP's to session broker

5. User is put onto secondary session host

This is my setup for your reference:

RDS Session Broker = LAB-RDB01.lab.local

RDS Session Hosts = LAB-RDSH01.lab.local + LAB-RDSH02.lab.local

RDS Web Access = AB-RDB01.lab.local (This is a lab environment)

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is intended for users to launch connections using RD Web Access, or RemoteApp and Desktop Connections, or Remote Resources (Mac, iOS, Android, UWP), or the new HTML5 web client (in Public Preview).  In this way the .rdp file that is used to launch the connection will contain a hint (loadbalanceinfo) for the target collection and will send this to the broker during the connection process.

If I understand what you wrote correctly, things work correctly if you launch a connection via RD Web Access.  Another way to describe it would be if you launch a connection using one of the correct methods, things are working properly for you, which would be expected.

Now, if you use Chrome to download the same .rdp file that is working correctly for you from RD Web Access, save it to your desktop, and then double-click to launch a connection, are you saying it doesn't work for some reason?  This would not be expected.  Please provide more details on this point.

You probably already know this, but if you remove all published RemoteApps from a session collection, it will automatically switch to full desktop mode, and if you refresh the RD Web Access page an icon for launching a full desktop to the collection should appear.  This would be the correct .rdp file to download using Chrome (or other non-IE browser) and save to your desktop for launching full desktop sessions.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It is intended for users to launch connections using RD Web Access, or RemoteApp and Desktop Connections, or Remote Resources (Mac, iOS, Android, UWP), or the new HTML5 web client (in Public Preview).  In this way the .rdp file that is used to launch the connection will contain a hint (loadbalanceinfo) for the target collection and will send this to the broker during the connection process.

If I understand what you wrote correctly, things work correctly if you launch a connection via RD Web Access.  Another way to describe it would be if you launch a connection using one of the correct methods, things are working properly for you, which would be expected.

Now, if you use Chrome to download the same .rdp file that is working correctly for you from RD Web Access, save it to your desktop, and then double-click to launch a connection, are you saying it doesn't work for some reason?  This would not be expected.  Please provide more details on this point.

You probably already know this, but if you remove all published RemoteApps from a session collection, it will automatically switch to full desktop mode, and if you refresh the RD Web Access page an icon for launching a full desktop to the collection should appear.  This would be the correct .rdp file to download using Chrome (or other non-IE browser) and save to your desktop for launching full desktop sessions.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:09 PM
  • Hi

Many thanks for the useful information.

I think I may have cracked it with the help of your response.

Essentially before, I was adding remote desktop connection as a published app with a defined parameter of /v LAB-RDB01.lab.local.

Following what you have said, I have removed all remoteapps and sure enough a RDP shortcut was generated. When using this generated shortcut, the load balancing has worked as intended and I get put onto a RDS Session Host.

So is this merely a quirk of RDS whereby you can only have one or the other (Full session or RDWeb) ?

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:37 PM
  • Hi

Many thanks for the useful information.

I think I may have cracked it with the help of your response.

Essentially before, I was adding remote desktop connection as a published app with a defined parameter of /v LAB-RDB01.lab.local.

Following what you have said, I have removed all remoteapps and sure enough a RDP shortcut was generated. When using this generated shortcut, the load balancing has worked as intended and I get put onto a RDS Session Host.

So is this merely a quirk of RDS whereby you can only have one or the other (Full session or RDWeb) ?

Correct, each collection can publish RemoteApps or Full Desktops.

-TP

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:39 PM
  • Many thanks for the assistance, have marked it down as resolution.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:41 PM