none
Things to consider when setting up Project Server RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

Due to ongoing file corruption problems, a decision has been made to move to project server.

I work for a single programme, with approx 10 pm's and 30 mpp files. These files are currently linked to a shared resource pool.

I would like to know whether it would be best to put them all into a single large plan, or split into smaller plans?

What  are the advantages and disadvantages of either?

ps we will need to provide a summary programme plan, and there will be some inter-project dependencies.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

MS Project Server doesn't support concurrent editing of MPP files, so as you have 10 PMs, you would only be able to consolidate into a single file if you were willing to accept that only 1 PM could make edits at any one time, and the other 9 would all have to wait until the first was finished before they could make their updates

A middle ground could be to consolidate your 30 mpp files into 10 - i.e. one for each PM, containing the projects that PM is responsible for. You could then have concurrent editing by the PMs, while also reducing the risk of file corruption.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Ah, 

in that case i have been misinformed! Is there no way for multiple users to edit a plan that resides on project server?

Is it possible to link between the projects?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:02 PM
  • You can use master-sub project relationship.

Create Project Plans for different files as separate project in Project Server.

Then create mater project (either one or more) which relate to the earlier created projects.

Insert different projects under related master project. This way multiple people can work on their respective plans and in the master project they are linked and you get the rolled up efforts.

Abhijeet

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 1:50 PM
  • Abhijeet,

Unfortunately this still won't allow more than one user at a time to edit any given file, whether it is the master or a subproject.

John

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:09 PM
  • rapscalli,

Unless I'm unaware of some magic available in Project Server, only one user at a time can have write capability for a given file at a given time. And that only makes sense because if write capability were allowed for more than one user, whose edits take precedence? One user could be making a change that is the total opposite of what another user is changing. Not too cool.

Your initial post talks about ongoing corruption, but do you really mean corruption or are you experiencing crashes of Project, they are different things. Although it does indeed seem that Project 2010 is more sensitive to crashes, I don't know that it is any more prone to corruption than previous versions. Corruptions has more to do with where the files are stored (i.e. locally, or on a server) and to some extent, how they are edited and saved. However the most responsible contributor to file corruption in Project is through a linked structure (i.e. master/subproject and/or resource pool/sharer file). You indicate that yo have a resource pool so therefore you have a linked structure. If the files in that structure are moved, renamed, "saved off", or operated over a network, corruption will be the likely result.

Ordinarily, master/subproject structure would be the method of choice to create a program summary plan of all 30 files. You might be saying, "hey what's he talking about, I thought he just said that will lead to corruption". Yes it probably will IF you create a dynamic master. Since you are already experiencing file corruption, you probably don't want to go down that route. However, you could create a static master. That avoids the potential corruption issue. The disadvantage is that a static master is a snapshot in time of all the files that make it up so it will not by "dynamic". To create a static master, uncheck the "link to project" option near the lower right corner of the Insert Project window.

I don't use Project Server but it is designed for enterprise use and therefore likely has better ways of creating program summary plan information. On the other hand, if you have file corruption issues, switching to Project Server isn't going to solve that.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hi John,

Regarding multi user access, i thought it maybe possible if the record was locked when being edited by a user, and journaling to record any confilcts. 

Regrding corruption, yes i do mean corruption. We are experiencing repeated errors, particularly when our PM's are working over a VPN. We are also experiencing some crashing, but that is another issue...

We have had the go ahead to move to Project Server, there are some licences availabel internally, and another department has a server already set up that we could use, so the cost is going to be minimal.

Yes we are using a shared resource pool, located on a network share (the same location all of our files reside). It is a must have as all projects share the same set of resources. I have asked all pm's to not move or rename files, an the seem to be adhering to this request.

Can anybody confirm if moving to Server will reduce the occurrence of file corruption?

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:47 AM
  • rapscalli,

For your reference there is a separate forum for Project Server (see below). You might have better luck posting your questions there, but if you do, make sure you include a note in both posts that your question is posted in two forums. That way, if someone is spending time answering in one forum, another person won't be wasting their time answering the same question in the other forum. It's really best to post in one OR the other but not both.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/home?forum=projectserver2010general

John

Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:40 PM