Group Policy: Computer Configuration: Package Deployment RRS feed

• Question

• My Group Policy Admin asked me a great question today.  She was attempting to log in and her machine was not given an IP address until it got to the Control-Alt-Delete screen.  She is concerned that when you deploy a MSI package using GP, the package (located on the network) will not be accessible during boot and therefore will not be deployed.  This just can't be the case right?  If I'm using NAP, a Microsoft product, you'd think it would not fight something as important as GP during boot.  Has anyone had similar questions?  She is running a test now so I don't know if this is an issue or not, but documentation on this would be very helpful.

-Gunnar
    Friday, October 9, 2009 1:47 PM

Answers

• I'm actually doing computer authentication, not user.  I can tell it doesn't get an IP until COntrol-Alt-Delete by monitoring the switch and the DHCP server.  In any case, the group policy admin tested this and found out that regardless the MSI packages still deploy correctly.  So that's good.

Thanks,

Gunnar
    • Marked as answer by gunnarwb Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:33 PM

All replies

• are you doing only the user authentication ? How you are sure that the machine is not getting IPAddress until it got to the control-Alt-Delete ? Seems like this question is specific to deploying MSI package using GP , can you post the same question at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2general/threads where GP (Group Policy) experts are listening.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbuSK

Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:54 AM
  • I'm actually doing computer authentication, not user.  I can tell it doesn't get an IP until COntrol-Alt-Delete by monitoring the switch and the DHCP server.  In any case, the group policy admin tested this and found out that regardless the MSI packages still deploy correctly.  So that's good.

Thanks,

Gunnar
    • Marked as answer by gunnarwb Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Good to know that you issue is resolved.

Thanks
    -RamaSubbu SK
    Sorry! Microsoft doesn't own any liability & responsibility for any of my posting.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:35 AM