none
how to unlock flash drive with bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• Please I was trying to lock my flash drive with bitlocker but it did not finish installation and stopped at about 81.2% and then my laptop power went down and I removed my flash drive. when eventually I was able to power my laptop on the bitlocker refused to complete locking and it has refused to remove. please how do I remove the bitlocker.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Iorsy,

For BitLocker drive encryption-unlock a locked data or removable drive, we could try two methods.

1. To unlock a data or removable drive using BitLocker Wizard
    2. To unlock a data or removable drive in a Command Prompt

Please refer to the link below to get the detailed steps.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/210071-bitlocker-drive-encryption-unlock-locked-data-removable-drive.html

Also we you can use BitLocker Repair Tool to access & recover data & files from inaccessible BitLocker drive which has been encrypted using BitLocker.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/recover-files-inaccessible-bitlocker-encrypted-drive

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:08 AM
  • Hi lorsy,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 9:02 AM
  • Sorry I did. not reply earlier, I tried all of those methods but still it did not resolve the problem. I have tried and even asked a friend but he said he hasn't even tried locking a flash before, well the thing is the Flashdrive did not finish the lock process and I expected it to continue but it did not and it has refused to disable the bitlocker what it indicates is  "run chkdsk" saying an error occurred. stipulating that if the error persists, it might be a hardware error.

Please what do I do?

Saturday, February 18, 2017 9:47 PM
  • Hi lorsy,

Because the Bitlocker always encrypt when we reinsert the device. If these steps don’t work, we could only do is format the flash drive.

Best regards,

Carl

Friday, February 24, 2017 9:50 AM
  • Hi Carl,

I tried formatting but it refused to format, the information it displayed was that it was bitlocker protected.

and then said it has the "chkdsk error"

Iorsy

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:55 PM
  • Hi Iorsy,

Thank you for your reply.

If it refused to format and display it is protected by BitLocker, we could try to use the diskpart command to delete. Please refer to the link below to check the steps.

http://superuser.com/questions/408809/how-to-format-a-drive-encrypted-with-bitlocker

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:12 AM
  • Hi Carl,

I tried all of the procedures but still it did not work. It is displaying write protected and bitlocker protected still.

I even tried formatting but still the same thing happened.

Please is there anything else I can do?

Also it is displaying as read only still.
    • Edited by Iorsy Monday, March 13, 2017 8:29 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 8:23 PM