none
Custom PerformancePoint filter with AJAX RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a requirement wherein our client wants to 

a. Perform a Free text search on a filter (like AJAX autocomplete)

b. Select and deselect all members in a filter (which doesnt work as expected in the default filters)

We have to build a custom filter to address these, but I need to have the following questions answered before deciding whether it is worth the effort.

1. Can we use AJAX controls to create a PPS Filter? This is for the autocomplete option.

2. How do we set custom filters to maintain persistence?

I have read Joe Hayes' post on creating a custom filter and it has been very helpful, but unfortunately it doesn't implement persistence of selections. I have also gone through other blog posts and information on creating custom filters, but the above two questions still remain unanswered.

Thanks in anticipation

Athulya

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I don’t know if AJAX controls will work as part of a PPS control.  To the best of my knowledge, no one has tried it out to see.

There is a 3<sup>rd</sup> party option for a free text search filter: http://futuresults.com/PPS_Custom_Text_Filter.aspx

There is also a blog entry detailing how one customer created a free text search filter: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2008/10/09/free-form-text-search-filter-sample.aspx

I hope this helps,

Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 7:32 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks very much. I have taken a look at both the links you've mentioned, but I'm afraid they do not really help in my scenario. I am now wondering if it would make sense to create a custom SharePoint filter and connect them directly to the excel and RS reports, thereby removing PPS completely from the  picture. I must mention that we have no PPS charts as such and PerformancePoint is in place to only hold things together and provide the filters.

The problems I can think of with this approach are:

1. Persistence of filter values across pages

2. AJAX behavior of PPS - refreshing only those web parts that are connected to the filters. A full page refresh on changing a filter wouldnt be acceptable

3. Practicality - whether the custom filter will really address all the requirements we have.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:12 AM