none
Ignore resource calendar is not shown in resource availability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I got a question regarding my project schedule.

For one of my projects we have to work during the summer holiday. So i made a copy of my enterprise project calendar, deleted the summer holiday. And called this calendar the overtime summer 2015 calendar.

I set this calendar for the entire project. I didn't the change the resource calendar because i also got other projects where they not work during the summer holiday.

So for the tasks wich should find place during the holiday I changed the taskcalendar to the overtime summer 2015 calender and ignored the resource calendar by scheduling. 

When i publish the project schedule and i want to see in the resource capacity the work i planned during the summer holiday, the work is not visible and the holiday period is still blank. But when i check a resource graph in project 2010 the planned work is visible during the summer holiday. 

Does somebody know a solution or explanation for the difference in the resource capacity in Microsoft Project 2010 and the PWA(project server).

I hope you could help me.

Best regards,

Ruben

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

I got a question regarding my project schedule.

For one of my projects we have to work during the summer holiday. So i made a copy of my enterprise project calendar, deleted the summer holiday. And called this calendar the overtime summer 2015 calendar.

I set this calendar for the entire project. I didn't the change the resource calendar because i also got other projects where they not work during the summer holiday.

So for the tasks wich should find place during the holiday I changed the taskcalendar to the overtime summer 2015 calender and ignored the resource calendar by scheduling. 

When i publish the project schedule and i want to see in the resource capacity the work i planned during the summer holiday, the work is not visible and the holiday period is still blank. But when i check a resource graph in project 2010 the planned work is visible during the summer holiday. 

Does somebody know a solution or explanation for the difference in the resource capacity in Microsoft Project 2010 and the PWA(project server).

I hope you could help me.

Best regards,

Ruben

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:05 AM
  • Hi Ruben,

Have you correctly published the project plan from MS Project Pro? Was the job successful? You should see in PWA the same thing that in Project Pro.

That being said, Dale Howard, a fellow MVP, wrote a few days ago an excellent blog on how to schedule resource work on holidays. This might help you.

http://www.epmainc.com/blog/schedule-resource-work-holiday

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:26 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for your answer, the publish was completed and succesfull in my project view in the PWA I added the column last published and it was set at the last published date.

I read the blog and it is very interesting but, I got other projects at the same time but I want the resources to work on one specific project during the summer holiday. And I'm affraid when I take the steps provided by Dale the resources will work the holiday on the other projects as wel. 

A small recap:

I got serverall projects. On off the projects need to catch up let's call this project: Project A, so we decided for that some of the resources will work on Project A during the summer holiday.

So what I did: 

1. Made a copy of the excisting project calendar and deleted the summer holiday. I called this calendar: 'Work during summer 2015 calendar'.

2. I set the 'Work during summer 2015 calendar' as project calendar. 

3. For all tasks which I want to take place during the summer holiday, I changed the task calendar to the: 'Work during summer 2015 calendar' and checked the box: Ignore resource calendar by schedulling. 

4. Now, the work I want to take place during the holiday is now planned during the holiday. (Like I wanted to).

5. When opening a resource graph in Microsoft Project the work is planned during the summer holiday.

6. After publishing the project to the project server I saw: Non of the planned work is shown in one of the resource capacity views.

I hope you got a solution for this issue.

Best regards,

Ruben

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:03 AM
  • Hi Ruben,

Thanks for those precision. I'm afraid that you are correct concerning Dale's procedure. It will apply for all resource's assignments, meaning on any projects.

When you mention the resource capacity views, where is it exactly? Is it the resource availabitliy from the PWA resource center? I'm thinking that the resource capacity graph in PWA is maybe not looking at all projects the resource is assigned to and is simply looking at the resource calendar itself. This would explain the behavior. To confirm it, have you tried looking at a report from the BI Center?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:19 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I asked Dale in a reaction on his blog. The resource capacity views in PWA are the views in the resource center. After choosing for resource availability:

- Work per resource

- Work per project

- Remaining availibility

- Work

No i didn't checked a report from the BI Center. Didn't think of that in this stage, but it's an option.

But you brought me on the idea to create a schedule with some tasks during the holiday by using the 'Work during summer 2015 calendar' and after that I will do the same with te other regular calendar.

Thanks.

Ruben

Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:36 AM