none
RMS protected XPS document can't be opened when no MS Office is installed RRS feed

• Question

• We need to distribute documents to our external dealers who are using Microsoft Accounts, as their pc's are not members of our domain (and may not be member of any domain) and they have no user accounts in our domain.

Our AD RMS setup handles this without any problems when distributing Word documents.
    However, we are distributing XPS documents as the dealers may not have MS Office installed.

To emulate that environment, I have set up a test environment with client pc's outside our domain and network, connected to the internet and installed with Windows 7 and 8.1 and nothing else, with all updates to date.

When trying to open a XPS document on these machines, XPS Viewer returns the error:
    "Unable to open this protected document. The XPS Viewer cannot activate any rights management accounts on this machine."

My question is: Which additional steps do the dealers need to take to be able to read the RMS-protected XPS files on a newly installed Windows 7 or 8.1 pc?

Other observations:

After I install MS Word on a machine in my test environment, the XPS Viewer still has the same behavior as described above.
    However, after I have used Word at least once to open a RMS protected Word document, XPS Viewer can successfully open XPS protected documents.

So it seems XPS Viewer is not doing the same automatic initialization of RMS, as MS Word is doing.

I need to describe the needed steps so they can easily be made by an end user.

Regards,
    Peter
    www.skov.dk

Peter :-)

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:01 PM