how to size UM Role and determine impact on an exitent E2010 infrastructure ? RRS feed

• Question

• I read this excellent technet article :http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee332331.aspx (Understanding Unified Messaging Performance and Scalability)

You use the Exchange 2010 Mailbox Server Role Requirements Calculator when you want to size the Mailbox role.

Do you need to play E2010 MBX SRV ROLE Requ Calculator another time since we know that a voice msg is a msg with attachment if I understand ?

IS there a excel sheet or a PS program you could advice to help in case of, you want to add new servers with UM role in an existent exchange 2010 infrastructure. This role will not be added to existent servers E2010. UM role will be configured on new E2010 servers.

How to determine resource requirements that CAS will need because If I understand, in the case where you configure UM role on separate 2010 Exchange server, these servers will talk with existent CAS servers through EWS (about 10 000 users :2 DAG, 2 CASARRAY, HLB) ? So they will add a stress to CAS resource ?

Does anybody have some experience to share about these topics ? Thank for your help, guys !

PATMOY

BOAT

Monday, June 23, 2014 3:47 PM

Answers

• Check out this article then for a virtualized UM server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh859720(v=exchg.141).aspx

"We recommend that the computer that is running the virtualized UM server have at least four CPU cores, and at least 16 GB of memory" and "Under a sustained load, tests show that a virtualized UM server that is configured as described can handle 40 concurrent calls if Voice Mail Preview is active for all UM users." 

Now, to know just how many concurrent calls to voicemail you'd be getting for 10,000k can only be determined by looking at your existing system. 

Check this article out as well: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/gg309146.aspx  (edit, this link is for O365, but we're using the concurrent call estimations for voicemail from it) It suggests a rule of thumb of about 1% of calls going to voicemail for light usage: "Represented by the upper two lines in the charts, light usage is calculated for systems in which the average user receives fewer than 4 voice messages per day and calls in to Outlook Voice Access at most once a day, for about a minute, to listen to voice messages."  In this case, you'd want to build for 100 concurrent calls. 

So, you can scale up your server, go 8 cores and 32 GB or RAM, but my suggestion would be if your PBX or gateway can support the load balancing, add more UM servers instead. 

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:33 PM

All replies

• Waiting for someone to chime in, but they shouldn't stress your CAS servers at all.  The amount of voicemail you'll receive vs the amount of email you receive on a daily basis is very very small.  It's just a few extra emails in the end. 

The amount of additional storage will depend on your voicemail usage, so planning for that will have to be extrapolated from your existing system, but it's not awful.  The files are small MP3s and it all counts against the quota.  I'll usually advise a 10% bump in quota to account for this. 

You're smart to not add the UM role to the existing servers, they don't need the load.  When/if you go to Exchange 2013 UM will mostly be a part of the mailbox role so you will need to take this into account.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Thank you for your advice and specially the fact that we have to consider Voice Message as message.

But what I am looking for is a calculator which could estimate/simulate the RAM needed for 10000 users on one UM server and the weight of EWS to the CAS and the Lync server which will route caller.

I didn't find any available counters or tool box for that kind of data.

Thank you for your answer.

BOAT

Saturday, June 28, 2014 8:47 PM
  • Check out this article then for a virtualized UM server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh859720(v=exchg.141).aspx

"We recommend that the computer that is running the virtualized UM server have at least four CPU cores, and at least 16 GB of memory" and "Under a sustained load, tests show that a virtualized UM server that is configured as described can handle 40 concurrent calls if Voice Mail Preview is active for all UM users." 

Now, to know just how many concurrent calls to voicemail you'd be getting for 10,000k can only be determined by looking at your existing system. 

Check this article out as well: http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/gg309146.aspx  (edit, this link is for O365, but we're using the concurrent call estimations for voicemail from it) It suggests a rule of thumb of about 1% of calls going to voicemail for light usage: "Represented by the upper two lines in the charts, light usage is calculated for systems in which the average user receives fewer than 4 voice messages per day and calls in to Outlook Voice Access at most once a day, for about a minute, to listen to voice messages."  In this case, you'd want to build for 100 concurrent calls. 

So, you can scale up your server, go 8 cores and 32 GB or RAM, but my suggestion would be if your PBX or gateway can support the load balancing, add more UM servers instead. 

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:33 PM