none
DPM 2012 fails to backup SQL Server 2005 SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded my DPM 2010 to DPM 2012. Most of our Database Server are SQL 2008 or 2008 R2. But there is one SQL 2005 (SP3) where i get this error for every single Database:

Triggering synchronization on Server\Database failed:

Error 30501: Change Tracking has been marked inconsistent due to one of the following reasons

1. Unexpected shutdown of the protected server

2. Unforeseen issue in DPM Bitmap failover during cluster failover of one or more datasources sharing the tracked volume.

Error details: Unknown error (0xe0062009) (0xE0062009)

Recommended action: Run a synchronization job with consistency check.

When i run a consistency check, it succeeds. But when i try to backup a database, i get the same error again. Only when i stop protection for one member and delete the replica in the process i can make one single backup successfully. But if i try a second backup i get the same error again.

Monday, April 16, 2012 5:16 PM

All replies

• I'm seeing the same errors in our environment

We have almost the same setup:

DPM server: in place upgraded DPM server from 2010 to 2012.

Database server: server 2003 X64 with SQL 2005 (SP4)

Any idea how to fix this issue?

Pascal Lokin

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Hi,

What is your antivirus software solution ?   We have had some reports of incompatibilities with DPM 2012.   If you run fltmc.exe from an administrative command prompt, what filter drivers are listed ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Mike,

We use FEP 2010 on all our servers.

the output on the SQL server for fltmc.exe:

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\sa.plokin>fltmc

Filter Name                     Num Instances Frame
    ------------------------------  ------------- -----
    DpmFilter                               2       1
    MpFilter                                7       1
    DfsDriver                                    <Legacy>

C:\Documents and Settings\sa.plokin>

Pascal Lokin

Monday, May 7, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

OK, no smoking gun there, try running chkdsk /F against the volume where the SQL 2005 databases reside.

Look in the Program Files\Microsoft data protection manager\dpm\temp\dpmra*.errlog on the protected server to see if there is more detail for the bitmap file problem.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 7, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Are you still having this problem?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

yes we are still having this problem

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Hi Ickiss,

According the official "Protected data sources" page from Microsoft Technet, it seems that SQL 2005 is not supported anymore (SQL 2005 is not listed...)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860400.aspx

Nevertheless, the following link contains many information about troubleshooting SQL server backup, and it speak about protecting SQL 2005 with DPM 2012...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh872941.aspx

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

SQL 2005 is still a supported workload.  You can bypass the DPMFilter by adding a registry key on the Protected SQL Server.

Open an administrative command prompt on the effected Protected Server(s).

- Stop the DPMRA:
        Net stop dpmra
    - Unload the dpmfilter:
        Fltmc unload dpmfilter
    - Set the Force Fixup Registry key
    - Run the following command from an administrative command prompt on the protected servers(s):
       Reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\2.0" /v ForceFixup /t REG_DWORD /d 1

NOTE: Synchronizations and express full Recovery points may take up to 3 times longer (or more) to finish when forcefixup key is added.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:03 PM