Changed SID by accident, now I cannot install or delete anything! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Before posting this thread I did have a look at a similar thread but I found that it had no solution.

I do understand that changing my SID could put myself in a position of desertion because a lot system changes are due to third party programs or programming. As it stands I was installing a program which asked me to change my SID, having no idea that I would lose control of my computer completely I went along with using another unique SID. 

The problem that I have is that of not being able to click "Ok" to accept anything on my computer, to this other user on my OS called "User", although I cannot login to this account because I did not create a password for this account.

Because I cannot select "Ok" I would like to ensure people that system restore will NOT help as the issue with not being able to accept changes or have any privileges to do so.

Anyone who thinks it's a virus I can e sure you it is not because I have scanned 3 times with 3 different anti viral software safemode without networking and online.

If someone could give me a sense of direction on how to get this sorted out I would be very appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

ALex 

Friday, February 18, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore (If System Restore is enabled on your computer)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
    2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 
    4. Click Repair your computer. 
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 
    6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.
    7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.
    8. Click Finish to restore the system.

If no luck, you need to reinstall Windows Vista. To make a backup of files, plug the hard drive on another computer and copy the data.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 9:40 AM