none
Windows 7 Enterprise on a Skylake w/ USB3 and NVMe RRS feed

• Question

• My corporate office has told me that we will be using Dell Precision 5510 laptops in the future and our office uses Windows 7 Enterprise because we need bitlocker on them.  Dell has a fully functional Windows 7 Pro disc which I can download and install with no issues.  The BIOS is configured for legacy and the drive is configured in AHCI mode when I do the installation.

If I attempt to install directly from our Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise disc from Microsoft as part of our enterprise agreement, I get the error "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disc, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."  This error happens because I have a Skylake based laptop with only USB3 (no USB2).  When I attempt to inject the proper drivers into the install.wim and boot.wim files that are in the sources folder I no longer get this error, but the installer cannot see the hard drive unless I change the bios to UEFI and RAID.

Even though the windows installer can now see the hard drive, I cannot install to it.  I get the error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk.  Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I have attempted injecting the MS KB2990941 and KB3087873 into the disc since these are supposed to add NVME support to Windows 7.  I change the BIOS back to legacy and AHCI, boot to the updated installation which includes the updates and injected drivers, and I get the "A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing..." error again.  The difference now is that if I click on browse I can see the hard drive listed and any usb flash drives that are hooked up.  I'm not sure what it thinks is hooked up that I'm missing a driver for.

I have even extracted the drivers from the functional dell disk (install.wim and boot.wim) and injected all of them into their respective parts of my Windows 7 Enterprise installer with no success.

I'm looking for help and direction as to what has worked for others or what other options I can try.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Edited by Matt Winkler Friday, September 23, 2016 2:04 PM Updated the title
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:45 PM

Answers

• I was able to find a resolution to my problem.  I had found a random comment on a different thread that mentioned placing the Windows 7 Enterprise install.wim file in place of the Windows 10 install.wim file and try installing.  With a little bit of tweaking, I was able to get it to work.  Here are my steps:

1. Necessary downloads

a. A Windows 10 installation media iso file 

b. Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 iso 

c. Rufus

d. Download all of the drivers for your Precision 5510 from support.dell.com (chipset drivers, sound, video, etc) and put them in the folder c:\temp\DellDrivers.

e. DISM GUI

f. NVMe hotfixes from Microsoft (KB2990941 and KB3087873)

g. 7zip or winrar to extract the Windows 7 installation ISO

2. Configure a flash drive to boot the windows 10 installation media

a. Connect a 16GB or larger flash drive to the PC and note the drive letter (EX: e:)

b. Open Rufus and select the flash drive you just plugged in

c. Leave all of the options default

d. Click on the CD Icon next to the dropdown that says “ISO Image”

e. Choose your Windows 10 Installation media iso

f. Click start.

3. Extract your Windows 7 installation to c:\temp\Win7Media

4. Make a directory in c:\temp called mount

5. Open DISM Gui

6. Click Choose Wim

7. Select c:\temp\Win7Media\sources\install.wim

8. Click Choose Folder

9. Select c:\temp\mount

10. Click on the “Package Management” tab at the top

11. Click “Choose Package Folder” and select the folder where you have the two MS hotfixes (Windows6.1-KB2990941-v3-x64.msu and Windows6.1-KB3087873-v2-x64.msu)

12. Click Add Packages

a. The output at the bottom should say “completed successfully”

13. Open Windows Explorer (Do not close DISM yet)

14. Browse to your c:\temp\mount folder

a. You should see what appears to be a windows installation (including Program files, program files (x86), Windows, etc)

15. Create a folder called temp

a. This folder will show up as c:\temp once you have installed windows on the laptop

16. Copy the folder DellDrivers from c:\temp to c:\temp\mount\temp

17. Go back into DISM Gui and click the “Mount Control” tab

18. Click “Dismount WIM” and choose to commit changes

19. Copy c:\temp\Win7Media\sources\install.wim into the sources folder on your flash drive (ex: e:\sources\.  It should ask to overwrite the current install.wim.  choose yes to overwrite the windows 10 installation file with your modified windows 7 installation.)

20. Plug the flash drive into your laptop and boot to the BIOS (F2).

21. Go to “boot sequence” and choose legacy (not UEFI)

22. Click on “System Configuration” and then “SATA Operation” and make sure it is set to AHCI

23. Reboot the computer and press F12 to select the flash drive to boot from

24. Go through the installation process like normal

25. Once you have installed the OS, browse to c:\temp and install the drivers one at a time

• Marked as answer by Matt Winkler Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:02 PM

All replies

• Skylake would need a usb3 driver injected on the installation disk so you might ask Dell if they did that.

Friday, September 23, 2016 2:56 PM
  • The following was posted about a year ago: [Guide] Installing Windows 7 on an NVME SSD (from a USB 3.0 thumbdrive)  See if the procedure helps with your situation.        

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:22 PM
  • ThrashZone,

I tried to inject the USB3 drivers into my enterprise disc and that did not appear to resolve the issue completely.  It only got me past the initial error of missing CD/DVD device driver.

Rick,

I have gone through that guide as well and it did not resolve my issue.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:58 PM
  • I was able to find a resolution to my problem.  I had found a random comment on a different thread that mentioned placing the Windows 7 Enterprise install.wim file in place of the Windows 10 install.wim file and try installing.  With a little bit of tweaking, I was able to get it to work.  Here are my steps:

1. Necessary downloads

a. A Windows 10 installation media iso file 

b. Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 iso 

c. Rufus

d. Download all of the drivers for your Precision 5510 from support.dell.com (chipset drivers, sound, video, etc) and put them in the folder c:\temp\DellDrivers.

e. DISM GUI

f. NVMe hotfixes from Microsoft (KB2990941 and KB3087873)

g. 7zip or winrar to extract the Windows 7 installation ISO

2. Configure a flash drive to boot the windows 10 installation media

a. Connect a 16GB or larger flash drive to the PC and note the drive letter (EX: e:)

b. Open Rufus and select the flash drive you just plugged in

c. Leave all of the options default

d. Click on the CD Icon next to the dropdown that says “ISO Image”

e. Choose your Windows 10 Installation media iso

f. Click start.

3. Extract your Windows 7 installation to c:\temp\Win7Media

4. Make a directory in c:\temp called mount

5. Open DISM Gui

6. Click Choose Wim

7. Select c:\temp\Win7Media\sources\install.wim

8. Click Choose Folder

9. Select c:\temp\mount

10. Click on the “Package Management” tab at the top

11. Click “Choose Package Folder” and select the folder where you have the two MS hotfixes (Windows6.1-KB2990941-v3-x64.msu and Windows6.1-KB3087873-v2-x64.msu)

12. Click Add Packages

a. The output at the bottom should say “completed successfully”

13. Open Windows Explorer (Do not close DISM yet)

14. Browse to your c:\temp\mount folder

a. You should see what appears to be a windows installation (including Program files, program files (x86), Windows, etc)

15. Create a folder called temp

a. This folder will show up as c:\temp once you have installed windows on the laptop

16. Copy the folder DellDrivers from c:\temp to c:\temp\mount\temp

17. Go back into DISM Gui and click the “Mount Control” tab

18. Click “Dismount WIM” and choose to commit changes

19. Copy c:\temp\Win7Media\sources\install.wim into the sources folder on your flash drive (ex: e:\sources\.  It should ask to overwrite the current install.wim.  choose yes to overwrite the windows 10 installation file with your modified windows 7 installation.)

20. Plug the flash drive into your laptop and boot to the BIOS (F2).

21. Go to “boot sequence” and choose legacy (not UEFI)

22. Click on “System Configuration” and then “SATA Operation” and make sure it is set to AHCI

23. Reboot the computer and press F12 to select the flash drive to boot from

24. Go through the installation process like normal

25. Once you have installed the OS, browse to c:\temp and install the drivers one at a time

• Marked as answer by Matt Winkler Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:02 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Hi Matt Winkler,

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 2:42 AM