Laptop becomes unresponsive after 5 minutes of up time. Salvagable without reinstalling windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working with a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop running Windows 7 Professional x64. Some quick specs:

• 4 GB Memory
    • Intel Core i5 2.4x2 GHZ processor
    • 150 GB Sata HD

This laptop, each time without fail, will start becoming unresponsive or unworkable slow 3-5 minutes after windows boots up. I won't even do anything for 5 minutes, and when I come back and even try to open the start menu, I get the blue circle and a lot of wait time. The machine never blue screens, it just remains unholy slow. (For instance, I'm trying to run system restore from Windows, and it's going on 20 minutes without starting. Pretty much, the OS becomes unresponsive.) Things I've tried:

• Tried system restore: Successfully restored back before problem started, but problem still exists. No software was changed by the system restore. Tried system restore again with much earlier date, which would've rolled back some drivers, but the system restore failed with error code 0x00800fff.  Tried the next to recent system restore and that failed with the same error.
    • Removed HD and used USB device to attach it to another computer. Here I was able go through the file system with no problems. (Even though it did take a couple times for my computer to recognize the hard drive through USB) Once it was recognized by my machine, I ran a virus scan on it, which came back clean. Ran a Error check on the disk: Automattically fix system file errors did come back and say that if found and corrected errors. I ran the scan again, and it came back clean. The scan and repair for bad sectors came back with some errors as well saying it had repair them. Problem is, everytime I ran the scan after that, it kept saying it found errors and fixed them. Again, that was only with the bad sector scan. I was able to download profile folders from the HD (in case I had to rebuild)
    • Ran Windows Startup Repair with the disk. Came back and said everything was fine now. Problem still existed.
    • Looked at Resource Monitor during normal boot up operations: Nothing looked unusual. Low CPU usage. Memory held steady about 1.5 GB of use. HD activity was also low. Things continued to remain normal, but when I tried to click the start button, it wouldn't come up. I then tried to open IE explorer, and that locked the whole machine up and the resource monitor also locked up and stopped updating.
    • Tried to start in Safe Mode w/o Networking. Locked up while loading the drivers the first time. Second time booted up just fine and worked fine. Tried Safe Mode with Network and it also booted up and worked fine. I was even able to open up internet explorer just fine.
    • Ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool from the disk. No problems found.
    • Tried to run a system restore again, but this time all my restore points are gone....
    • Finally, tried doing a clean boot: Same problem still existed.

Since safe mode is working fine, I'm think this is driver issue of some sort. I'm really trying to not have to re-image this laptop, because it has some important stuff on it. Any help to get Windows running in normal mode effectively would be appreciated.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:09 PM

Answers

• Off the top of my head, it sounds like a hard drive issue.  Have you run (from an elevated command prompt) chkdsk /r?

I suspect that eventually a system file gets placed on a bad sector of hard drive, and then the system is struggling to read bad data.  It could also be the memory, but that seems less likely.  Try chkdsk first.

-Z

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:40 AM
    Friday, May 27, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Well, I think I will say that the issue is resolved now! I ran the chkdsk /r, which ran it's course and correct some errors. I let the laptop sit over the weekend, and it is still running strong today. It's interesting that it ended up fixing it, because I had done the chkdsk before. But before, I had not reinstalled the OS yet, and before, I was getting an error that said I couldn't run chkdsk, because some software was preventing it. I was able to run chkdsk when I slaved the HD to another computer and ran it through the Windows interface, but I guess that provides different results.

Either way, thank you guys for your assistance. Not sure which one to mark as answer...we all had a part it the solution.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As you said, this issue did not occur in Safe Mode, I suggest you check event viewer to see if there are some information that contains application hang or crash information .

Meanwhile, you could update your drivers to the latest to check what the result is.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 10:04 AM
  • Hello,

Alex, it actually did help a little bit. Once in Safe Mode with networking, I updated the drivers of every single piece of hardware in the device manager. (Didn't flash BIOS...yet...) When I booted to normal mode again, it actually remained stable, even though the drivers I updated didn't seem like they would cause hang ups like that. I then took that time to update windows as much as possible. Then came Windows Service Pack 1. As I've read in other forums, people are having issues installing that service pack, and so did I. It kept failing to install citing an error 0x80070643. I tried again a couple times with no success. Tried to install it via a restart, but it just never installed and never shutdown, so I had to hard reboot. I let it try to install over night through Windows Update again, but I got back in the morning, I couldn't unlock the laptop, cause it was hung up again. Back to square one. So I looked at past events in event viewer and saw these (besdues the ones about improper shutdowns and windows update failing):

• "The NTFS file structure is corrupt and unstable. Please run the chkdsk utility..."(check disk utility would not run from windows nor during boot up. During boot up it says there is some kind of software installed that is preventing it from happening) Again, I am able (and have) run check disk on the hard drive when I slave it to another computer).
    • "The Embedded Controller (EC) did not respond within the specific timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly.You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly."
    • "The Computer browser service depends on the Server service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start."

The system is back to locking up or moving unworkably slow now. Suggestions?

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have any restore points now? If so, you could try to get back to the previous status to check result.

In addition, I suggest you check whether the windows update has been installed successfully.

Meanwhile, try to update the BIOS as event log suggested.

For the computer browser service, I suggest you check the status of following dependency services:

·        Server

·        Security account manager

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:06 AM
  • Hello,

I tried restore points and a BIOS upgrade, but the problem kept happening. I finally cracked and reinstalled Windows. It was going well for a while, and I was able to install updates up to a point. I started a large update and let it run overnight. When I returned, the locking up problem started again. Actually, when I came back and took it out of power save mode, I noticed the screen display was messed up. Multicolored lines everywhere. When I tried to unlock the machine it hung up again. The hang up kept happening whenever I let the computer sit for 10 minutes or more. It's gotta be something with the hardware. I've just about given up on this laptop. Any last minute miracle solutions before I look for a Dell warranty?

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:29 PM
  • Off the top of my head, it sounds like a hard drive issue.  Have you run (from an elevated command prompt) chkdsk /r?

I suspect that eventually a system file gets placed on a bad sector of hard drive, and then the system is struggling to read bad data.  It could also be the memory, but that seems less likely.  Try chkdsk first.

-Z

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:51 PM
  • Well, I think I will say that the issue is resolved now! I ran the chkdsk /r, which ran it's course and correct some errors. I let the laptop sit over the weekend, and it is still running strong today. It's interesting that it ended up fixing it, because I had done the chkdsk before. But before, I had not reinstalled the OS yet, and before, I was getting an error that said I couldn't run chkdsk, because some software was preventing it. I was able to run chkdsk when I slaved the HD to another computer and ran it through the Windows interface, but I guess that provides different results.

Either way, thank you guys for your assistance. Not sure which one to mark as answer...we all had a part it the solution.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 2:56 PM