Why "Cannot connect to the configuration database." in one SP environment but not in the other? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two ShaprePoint environment which having the same archiecture:

Env 1:
    Server1: SharePoint Server (MOSS 2007) on Win2003
    Server2: SQL Server on Win2003

Env 2:
    Server1: SharePoint Server (MOSS 2007) on Win2003
    Server2: SQL Server on Win2003

--------------------------------------------------------
    -Both environment have setup a SharePoint site http://server1:9901 and content database on server2.
    - For each environment's SharePoint Application Pool identity set to using 'LOCAL SYSTEM'

I got the different behaviour with the two environment. For Env1, there is no problem accessing the SharePoint site http://server1:9901. From Env1's server2 Security event log, I found a user login entry 'SERVER1$' with following details:

User: MYDOMAIN\SERVER1$
    Computer: SERVER2

Successful Network Logon:
    User Name: SERVER1$
    Domain:  mydomain
    LoginID: {0x0,0x49828A52}
    Logon Type: 3
    Logon Process: Kerberos
    Authentication Package: Kerberos
    WOrkstation Name:
    Logon GUID: {bbea258d-c32c-2316-1e89-b5e057210209}
    Caller User Name: -
    Caller Domain: -
    Caller Logon ID: -
    Caller Process ID: -
    Transited Services: -
    Source Network Address: -
    Source Port: -

However when I access Env2's http://server1:9901, the SharePoint showing error 'Cannot connect to the configuration database.' The following information was found from Env2's Server2's Security event log:

User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Computer: SERVER2

Successful Network Logon:
      User Name:
      Domain: 
      Logon ID:  (0x2,0xDE15DD65)
      Logon Type: 3
      Logon Process: NtLmSsp
      Authentication Package: NTLM
      Workstation Name: SERVER1
      Logon GUID: -
      Caller User Name: -
      Caller Domain: -
      Caller Logon ID: -
      Caller Process ID: -
      Transited Services: -
      Source Network Address: -
      Source Port: -

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what's the configuration difference between Env1 and Env2 which leads to above behaviour differnece. I would like to know how can I configure Env2 such that it will have same behaviour as Env1?

Thanks,

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:46 PM Title changed. Original did not give the error but merely asked the different the "these" settings. The word these is meaningless in a Title
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 2:41 PM

Answers

• I have two questions to you

1.Is the generic ID used for intslling SharePoint on both the servers are same.?Is it have same privilage in AD

2.How you installed SharePoint on these server loged in using the generic ID in both the servers

From this i think you get some light

Destin -MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010, MCTS:SharePoint 2007 Application Development
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:11 AM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:14 PM

All replies

• I have two questions to you

1.Is the generic ID used for intslling SharePoint on both the servers are same.?Is it have same privilage in AD

2.How you installed SharePoint on these server loged in using the generic ID in both the servers

From this i think you get some light

Destin -MCPD: SharePoint Developer 2010, MCTS:SharePoint 2007 Application Development
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:11 AM
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 3:14 PM
  • 1.Is the generic ID used for intslling SharePoint on both the servers are same.?Is it have same privilage in AD

Yes for both 1 and 2, actually two environment is coming from same Virtual Image. Thus the installation process is should the the same.

I have tried execute following SQL query in two environment and found different result:

SELECT DB_NAME(dbid) AS DatabaseName, loginame AS LoginName, sys.dm_exec_connections.auth_scheme as AuthMethod
    FROM sys.sysprocesses
    JOIN sys.dm_exec_connections
    ON sys.sysprocesses.spid=sys.dm_exec_connections.session_id
    WHERE dbid > 0
    GROUP BY dbid, loginame, spid,sys.dm_exec_connections.auth_scheme

For Env1, the WSS_Content is using KERBEROS AuthMethod

For Env2, the WSS_Content is using NTLM AuthMethod

I would like to know if there is anyway to change the Env2's config to sync with Env1's ?

Thanks.

• Edited by Jabbaaa Monday, March 7, 2011 4:33 AM additional information
    Monday, March 7, 2011 2:10 AM
  • I am not sure whether the problem due to kerberos error and then it switch to NTLM authentication. Anyone can suggest how to figure out it is related to kerberos problem?

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:17 AM