HP Owners Read This - We got hosed! (if not NEW system) RRS feed

• Question

• After several failed attempts at upgrading my zd8000 laptop from XP Pro to Vista Ultimate, long hours of dealing with incompetent MSFT support (clueless about even basic stuff!) I came across this little gem:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00678140

In short, if you bought your HP before 10/2006, then expect to encounter problems.  The Vista upgrade advisor reports that my zd8000 (2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 256 MB VRAM, etc.) is good to go.  I bought it custom spec'd 2 years ago expecting to be able to upgrade after Vista finally released.  Looks like I will be running XP until it dies.  >:(

My laptop is not on the HP list of Vista upgradeable systems.  If you are reading this after repeated failures getting the explanation-less error:

"Windows Installation encountered an error and cannot continue"

then you may be having the same problem as me...  and to think that I bought my HP after nightmare customer service experiences with DELL (from hell).  I still got hosed...!  $260 down the toilet.

Saturday, February 3, 2007 7:24 PM

All replies

• I'm sure there are ways to get this laptop to upgrade to Vista, but I'm not sure you'll get all the Vista drivers you'll need once you're in Vista. You may have to opt to load some XP drivers if a Vista driver is not available. Secondly, stability of these XP drivers on Vista is an unsure thing.

Burn your XP system recovery cd/dvds and backup your data if you're really going to pursue this Smile

Saturday, July 7, 2007 8:23 PM