Vista 64-bit HP to Win7 64-bit HP Upgrade problem RRS feed

• Question

• I recently got the disc to upgrade to Win7. Using Vista 64-bit HP, I attempted to upgrade to Windows 7 HP x64, and I got the following incompatibility errors.

"
  • You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.

• 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc."
  • What is going on?
Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:56 AM

Answers

• Hi, I would like to confirm where the upgrade disc came from. This issue may occur if the disc does not contain the correct Windows 7 version. Does it indicate that a 64-bit Windows 7 is included? I suggest contacting the disc provider or retailer to confirm it. Thank you
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi, Your computer might have 64bit CPU, but the upgrade is alerting you that a 32bit Vista version is installed. Now if you what to upgrade and keep all your Vista programs, you will need to get the 32bit W7. If you don't you can do a clean install. Back up all important data first. Boot with install disc. W7 will then make a windows.old folder for data from Vista. Delete and format harddisk for W7 64bit. Slan go foill, Paul
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:49 AM
  • It's definitely a 64-bit Vista.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 1:01 PM
  • Hi, I would like to confirm where the upgrade disc came from. This issue may occur if the disc does not contain the correct Windows 7 version. Does it indicate that a 64-bit Windows 7 is included? I suggest contacting the disc provider or retailer to confirm it. Thank you
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:20 AM
  • I am also having this problem.  This is the only place on the web I have found this issue so far.  I am an IT professional and have a verified 64-bit AMD Turion with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 RC (did the .iso extraction and changed the "minclient" value in the "CVERSION" file to 7000 to allow the upgrade of the RC, a well documented and working fix).  I installed the RC 7100 build over a 64-bit Vista install.

I am getting the exact same error.  My install media actually gives me the choice of installing 32-bit or 64-bit when I'm going through the installer.  Normally I would expect it to only offer me a 64-bit OS since I'm trying to upgrade over a 64-bit OS.

Personally, looks like 7 is having some of the growing pains of Vista.  I'll wait until closer to time for the RC to run out and try this again.

-Chad

I should also note (just in case it may be relevent), I am also using an HP, HP Pavillion dv7.

Update 1:  Looks like the setup is trying to run as "setup.exe*32", so there's no way it could do a 64-bit install, and as I'm running a 64-bit OS, I'm sure not going to get a 32-bit upgrade, but when I'm running the upgrade it gives me the options for both 32 and 64-bit installs.  Seems there is something wrong with the setup somehow calling to the 32-bit installer.  Interesting.........Microsoft people, any idea why this would be happening?
    Friday, October 30, 2009 4:06 PM
  • I have same problem on my HP Pavillion tx2000 with Vista Ultimate x64. This OS was preinstalled when I purchased the laptop. Now I am trying to upgrade to Windows 7 x64 using my MSDN DVD received in oct/nov month. 

I got the same error as 
  • You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.

• 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc."

However if I run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor I have the report as:  You can upgrade to Windows7  x64 Ultimate
Thursday, November 5, 2009 11:48 PM
  • I also have this same problem on both my 64 bit laptop and my 64 bit desktop. I suspect a lot people will have this same problem. I am also using the MSDN DVD. The desktop has an Intel DX58SO motherboard and a quad I7 processor. The laptop is also an Intel motherboard with a dual core. Not that anyone should expect it to be, but this problem is not limited to HPs nor is it limited to AMD processors.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 5:00 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem, the Upgrade Advisor says my computer is ready to be upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, but when I run the installation I get the error saying I cannot upgrade from a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os.  I'm currently running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Same issue, going from Win7 x64 RC to Win7 x64 RTM.
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:57 PM
  • "Now I am trying to upgrade to Windows 7 x64 using my MSDN DVD received in oct/nov month." If people are trying to install 64-bit Windows 7 from the MSDN subscription disk then they potentially face problems, in particular circumstances. The MSDN/Technet subscription disk is a dual layer disk which contains both 32-bit and 64-bit installs, but only the 32-bit installer. It'll work for installing 64-bit OS in some circumstances/scenarios, but not in others. If difficulty with installing 64-bit OS from that particular disk is being experienced, it would be better to use the Subscriber downloads section to instead download/use the actual 64-bit install ISO. If people are using an actual 64-bit install disk and experience "cannot be upgraded from this version" errors then it'll be because the install is being launched from inside the existing 32-bit install. To install 64-bit Windows to a machine with a 32-bit Windows install in place, the system must be booted from the install disk and the installation launched from there.
    • Proposed as answer by Miral007 Monday, November 9, 2009 4:21 AM
    Monday, November 9, 2009 12:36 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation.  Yes, the upgrade was successful using the ISO image from the subscriber download area.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 5:05 PM
  • I had the same problem.  I downloaded the 64 bit ISO and it still would not upgrade.
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 10:36 PM