none
Updating domain from Windows 2008R2 to 2016

Question

• Our situation is that we have one Domain controller running Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2007 SP3.  We would like to accomplish two things Migrate to Office 365 and update our domain to 2016 and in the end decommission this server.

I was planning on promoting the 2016 member server as a DC and transferring the FSMO roles and GC to it.  We would then complete the migration of Exchange to office 365.  Is this situation supported or recommended?  Or should we complete our migration and then transfer the domain controller.  I looked at the exchange support matrix and it specifies that Exchange 2007 SP3 needs does not support 2016 Domain Controllers.  Does this mean function level or that all domain controller servers need to be at 2012 or below? 

Any advice is appreciated

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:08 PM

Answers

• Thats right. Unless you move all the exchange 2007 servers to the next level, you cannot move to windows server 2016 domain controllers. We also have the same problem :)
    • Proposed as answer by Wendy JiangModerator Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by riaking Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:31 PM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:13 PM
  • You should finish your migration then, once you decommission Exchange Server 2007, you can upgrade your DCs. 

You can use Azure AD Connect to keep syncing your local users and DLs to your new Office 365 environment which may help you in managing the new environment.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:29 AM

All replies

• Thats right. Unless you move all the exchange 2007 servers to the next level, you cannot move to windows server 2016 domain controllers. We also have the same problem :)
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:13 PM
  • Looks like it does not support 2016 functional level.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/ff728623(v=exchg.150).aspx

but better to ask the exchange experts over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-us/home?forum=exchangesvrgenerallegacy

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:16 PM
  • Our situation is that we have one Domain controller running Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2007 SP3.  We would like to accomplish two things Migrate to Office 365 and update our domain to 2016 and in the end decommission this server.

I was planning on promoting the 2016 member server as a DC and transferring the FSMO roles and GC to it.  We would then complete the migration of Exchange to office 365.  Is this situation supported or recommended?  Or should we complete our migration and then transfer the domain controller.  I looked at the exchange support matrix and it specifies that Exchange 2007 SP3 needs does not support 2016 Domain Controllers.  Does this mean function level or that all domain controller servers need to be at 2012 or below? 

Any advice is appreciated

If you won't raise functional level to Server 2016(supported Levels 2012 r2 and lower) ,you can use exchange 2007 SP3 on your domain environment.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Thursday, April 20, 2017 10:01 PM
  • You should finish your migration then, once you decommission Exchange Server 2007, you can upgrade your DCs. 

You can use Azure AD Connect to keep syncing your local users and DLs to your new Office 365 environment which may help you in managing the new environment.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Sunday, April 23, 2017 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.
    Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:50 AM
  • Wendy, we went ahead and downgraded our member server to 2012 R2, promoted it as a DC and transferred the FSMO roles, DHCP and DNS.  I have a question about AD Connect and I will start a new thread.

Thank you.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 2:30 PM