How to disable swapfile.sys on Windows 8? RRS feed

• Question

• It's possible to disable pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys, however, there does not appear to be information on how to disable swapfile.sys.

The file swapfile.sys appears to be an additional paging file from Metro and I'd like to know if there is a way to disable it as well.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:41 AM

Answers

• Disabling the normal pagefile should also disable this one.

To disable the hiberfil.sys run this from a command prompt with admin rights:

powercfg -h off

But without the hiberbil.sys you'll loose the fast startup feature of Windows 8.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, November 30, 2012 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:17 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:40 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Disabling the normal pagefile should also disable this one.

To disable the hiberfil.sys run this from a command prompt with admin rights:

powercfg -h off

But without the hiberbil.sys you'll loose the fast startup feature of Windows 8.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, November 30, 2012 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, December 6, 2012 9:17 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:40 AM
    Answerer
  • hiberfile is EASY to get rid of

1) disable fast start up

2) disable hibernation

3) disable hybrid sleep (this trips up most people) as hybrid sleep writes all the data as IF it's going to hibernate but then goes to sleep. This is in case of power failure. Then the system can resume from a hibernated state with no data/session loss

No reason to disable pagefile.sys, it's been proven OVER and OVER that 100% disabling the pagefile system does more harm than good and creates instability in windows - even if you had 64TB of RAM.. many programs actually use and REQUIRE the pagefile to page out code thats idle.

Even just a minimal 400MB pagefile on the C: drive will keep windows happy. That lets it make a mini dump if needed and allows programs that req a swap file to function normally.

Swapfile.sys, you can not turn off. That's just part of Windows 8. I'm not sure WHY it's there.. I loaded a TON of metro apps, and they hogged 6GB of memory, and they were being swapped to my PAGEFILE. So I'm not understanding what it's there for

Friday, February 7, 2014 8:05 PM