command.com cannot be run due to config.nt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've 32 bit Windows 7 Enterprise installed on a laptop but i cannot run the command.com. I've tried to run it via Windows Run, .bat file or just double click it from windows\system32 but i got the following message:

config.nt: The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

I've tried to replace both autoexec.nt and/or config.ht file from the other laptop (also has Win7 Ent 32 bit installed) that can run the "command.com" but it doesn't work somehow. I know there is cmd.exe as replacement of command.com, but i need to run some installer that still need the command.com on that laptop (some kind of 16bit third party program).

Try to figure out the cause but many references direct me to older windows version like xp or 2000, anyone has idea how i can fix this? 

The content of config.nt file is like this:

dos=high, umb
    device=%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\himem.sys
    files=40

Thanks b4.

• Edited by casper000 Monday, September 15, 2014 1:29 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 1:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Kate,

As i explained earlier, my system is Win 7 32 bit, so the command.com should be work.

After further investigation, we've found the cause, finally. So we deploy the Win7 image using the newest winpe, which is built from win8 core (CMIIW), so the solution is we downgrade the winpe version (AIK 3), and now the deployed image can run command.com (only on 32 bit, the win7 64 does not support command.com).

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by casper000 Monday, September 22, 2014 9:21 AM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 9:20 AM

All replies

• In addition to previous poster, you may try third party freeware DOSBox

http://www.dosbox.com

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:11 AM
  • Hi Kate,

As i explained earlier, my system is Win 7 32 bit, so the command.com should be work.

After further investigation, we've found the cause, finally. So we deploy the Win7 image using the newest winpe, which is built from win8 core (CMIIW), so the solution is we downgrade the winpe version (AIK 3), and now the deployed image can run command.com (only on 32 bit, the win7 64 does not support command.com).

Thanks.

• Marked as answer by casper000 Monday, September 22, 2014 9:21 AM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 9:20 AM