none
Windows 10 Start Menu not working with domain account RRS feed

• Question

• I have a tablet that works fine with a local account that is in the Administrators group, but when I log on with a domain account the Start button does nothing. I lose all access to the Start Menu. Right clicking works as if I was on Windows 8, but the Windows 8 interface isn't there either. What group policy could possibly be causing this or is there something else that might cause this?
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 7:10 PM

Answers

• csmithnwd,

I have experienced the same exact thing while I am building and piloting our domain gold image.

I have found the issue just not sure what to do about it yet.

Basically we have a domain Group policy that disabled the Windows Firewall service.

With the firewall being off at the time of a new user logging in is what is causing the start memu, no search, no edge icon, and who knows what else to not work.

I have tested multiple times and If I can sign on with my domain account before the GPO disabled and stops the firewall it creates my profile just fine and all is well but if not I get the issue.

When the firewall is disabled and I log in for the first time, I can see in the event viewer log that it is having trouble reading registry keys .  If you look under Application and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows-> Apps-> Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational when you are having the issue , you will see.
    I can start the firewall, log ff and log back on, the start menu , search, edge icon all work fine now.

Thats a very asinine behavior Microsoft has done in this version of Windows.
    As of right now this is a complete halt to our roll out until Microsoft can resolve it.

Thanks,
    Clay

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you mean you can only right click the start button, but there are no these options below:

If yes, please login with another domain account to this computer to confirm if this is a domain configuration cause.

If it doesn't occur on another domain account, it indicates this is a user profile issue.

You could delete this user profile from this computer and then recreate. If that's roaming user profile, clear the cache user profile locally to try again.

If this issue also occur under another domain user profile, it indicates this is your AD side issue. Contact the IT admin to resolve the issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:57 AM
  • Right click is all that does work. This is happening for any account that I've tried so far. I am the Administrator, but I can't figure out what legacy policy or script would cause the Windows 10 start menu to fail to work. The computer settings seem fine, and the only place I could find in regards to the start menu I've tried changing with no success. When I left click, absolutely nothing happens.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:53 PM
  • Does anything show up in eventvwr when you try to open start?  Can you LEFT click on taskbar icons?
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 5:51 PM
  • The sound and clock (built-in) icons don't respond. Nothing in the Event viewer.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:03 PM
  • Any resolution?  I am seeing the same thing on my Surface Pro original after updating from 8.1.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 5:32 AM
  • No, all went silent. I thought maybe there was a policy I had set from Windows 2000 or XP to get rid of some of the crap and assigning classic windows shell or something along that line. Deactivated all I could find but without a clue of what could be triggering this, it's like looking for the needle in a haystack. It is domain related or domain policy related, so that is where you would need to look. Thinking of creating a "clean" domain user with no policies or secondary scripting software attached and see if that can help me identify the culprit. All the apps functions has also been disabled. Still works fine on the machine if using a local user account, so the OS itself is still in tact.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:13 PM
  • csmithnwd,

I have experienced the same exact thing while I am building and piloting our domain gold image.

Basically we have a domain Group policy that disabled the Windows Firewall service.

With the firewall being off at the time of a new user logging in is what is causing the start memu, no search, no edge icon, and who knows what else to not work.

I have tested multiple times and If I can sign on with my domain account before the GPO disabled and stops the firewall it creates my profile just fine and all is well but if not I get the issue.

When the firewall is disabled and I log in for the first time, I can see in the event viewer log that it is having trouble reading registry keys .  If you look under Application and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows-> Apps-> Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational when you are having the issue , you will see.
    I can start the firewall, log ff and log back on, the start menu , search, edge icon all work fine now.

As of right now this is a complete halt to our roll out until Microsoft can resolve it.

Thanks,
    Clay

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:16 PM
  • That was one of my guesses. didn't think about it causing the problem when creating a user. Thought it would affect all users as it has for some things on the servers in the past. Chalk up another design flaw for Microsoft. When will they learn that trying to build everything into the OS and having everything depend on their services does not work for a business environment? their "tools" are too inflexible and hard to control and are far from perfect. Windows 2008 Server has some very similar issues I can only imagine it is exacerbated in 2012. I think they are following Cisco and others in the realm of keep changing things and make it so you have to do their training to be able to run the software. Makes it hard to adopt and adapt something that you have no control over to truly customize to fit your users and business model. Part of why Vista and 8.0 failed so miserably yet they don't seem to learn from their mistakes. Typical developers that are out of touch with the user community as a whole.

Yes, just confirmed the Firewall is the main culprit, along with if you change the User account control settings all the apps quit working. Another bone head feature. The popups that occur with it on and the things it blocks causes more issues than its worth.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 1:59 PM
  • Good to hear you have confirmed the "Fix"  haha

What I am going to play with in the mean time, is maybe having a GPO specifically for Windows 10 that keeps the firewall service enabled but disable all the profiles.

Since we use a Check Point VPN client with a built in firewall , not sure what ramifications will occur with 2 firewall "theoretically" running but I dont think we will be moving to a production Windows 10 image any time soon unless the business and security officers can sign off on the workarounds that need to be in place for an OS to function correctly.

Clay

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Maybe the best thing for "us" to try would be to leave the firewall on and set it to pass through all traffic. Thus disabling it without having to disable it. I think I did something similar with our Servers a few years ago when I ran into this with Windows 2008 when it wouldn't allow print and file sharing changes unless the firewall was enabled.
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:50 AM
  • csmithnwd,

Thanks,
    Clay

Legend,

This was exactly our issue.  I cant fathom what logical link there is between cortana/start menu and the firewall so thank you for saving my team days of bashing our heads against a brick wall.

More Coffee!

Monday, October 19, 2015 4:59 AM
  • I have a similar issues which I asked in the following post.http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/igfxdtcmdll-is-very-slow-when-you-login-as-a/c5441c60-3c78-4151-b935-d64ea8b8cdb2

It might be caused by another issue, the Intel Graphics Driver is very slow while I pop-up the context menu from any folder especially the Desktop.

When I disable the shell extension it becomes normal, when I login as a local admin, it becomes normal.

When I login as a domain account, it is very slow. Intel claims that some service was disabled for my domain account. However, we are just using a default domain with no specific group policy or other customization. I experience this on any newly installed laptop with Windows 10 Enterprise and Intel HD Graphics 5500 Driver from Windows Update.

Does any know a neat way to work around this?

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 9:04 AM