Create a DBAN or alternative task in MDT 2012 to erase the hard drive

• After a desktop or laptop is decommissioned and ready to be recycled, we run DBAN from a CD to erase the disk.  Is there a way to create a task in MDT 2012 that would allow us erase the disk through a network boot rather than having to put the cd in?

I does not even have to be DBAN, anything that is just as good or better to erase the drive.

• Edited by markfromit Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:38 PM

All replies

• If you are already using DBAN and you just don't want to use the CD, why not just put DBAN on your WDS / PXE serer?

David Coulter | | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Good question.  How do I add it to WDS?  WDS only add a WIM image.  DBAN is iso.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 2:32 AM
  • I just run a custom task sequence to call a diskpart script from the diskpart folder in the root of my DS -

first run command - diskpart /s "z:\diskpart\diskpartcmd.txt"

then i run a restart computer...thats it..unless you need even more secure wipe then continue with dban or gdisk from ghost.

list disk
    select disk 0
    create partition primary
    format fs=ntfs quick label="WindowsOS"
    assign letter=w
    select partition 1
    select volume 1
    attributes volume set nodefaultdriveletter

just change clean to clean all and it will write zeros to the complete hard drive for you..

Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Just for fun I got it to work in my test lab, pretty straight forward. You will need this update link...

and the 

6. Extract the file pxelinux.0 (found in the under the folder ‘core’) to the I386 directory

is now located in bios/core on the new builds.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 6:34 PM