Slow-Opening Word Documents RRS feed

• Question

• This SBS 2008 network has 3 Win 7 clients and 1 Win XP client.  The Win 7 clients are running Office 2010.  Users complain that some documents on the server take up to 5 minutes to open, particularly in the morning.  The problem is intermittent, and usually when they try to show it to me, documents open almost instantly.  Only the Win 7 / Office 2010 clients are affected, Office 2007 on XP works without issues.  I've tried running Wirshark captures and there seems to be a lot of SMB2 traffic, but there's so much it is hard to analyze.  This problem has been ongoing for months, so it's not the result of any recent changes.  I've changed out the network switch, used a different NIC on the server, and updated NIC drivers, all to no avail.  Would appreciate some guidance on where to go next.  Thank you.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 11:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• DNS and DHCP on the server?

Saturday, September 3, 2011 4:20 AM
  • Yes, both are on the server.  All PCs use DHCP and are given the SBS server as the DNS address.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 3:43 PM
  • I suggest you try the SBS BPA.....

www.sbsbpa.com

Please download-run-fix everything it finds

Larry Struckmeyer
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion, Larry.  I had run the BPA a few months ago, but I ran it again.  The only critical issue is "DNS client not configured," but I didn't consider this to be correct, since the single active adapter has a static IPv4 address and DNS is set to the same address.

However, the IPv6 settings were "automatically obtain...," so I set a static address and matched the DNS setting.  Ran the BPA again and got the same error.  Does this seem significant?

Other non-critical issues relate to IE Enhanced Security not enabled, no SSL cert for the SharePoint site, etc.  Don't see anything that looks possibly related to network functionality, but I'm still open to any suggestions.

Saturday, September 3, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Do you have any AV running on server and clients? if yes , can u disable it completely from client and server and then check. If this is intermittent what's the frequency daily early time or frequent there as well?
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 1:48 PM
  • Symantec EndPoint Protection 12.0 is installed on both the server and the clients.  The frequency is often enough to be frustrating to the users, but not often enough for it ever happen when I'm there.  They claim that it's seems to be worse in the mornings.  And again, it's only the Win 7 / Office 2010 clients that have the problem.  The Windows XP / Office 2007 machine has no issues.

I can disable the Symantec services on both the clients and the server to test this theory.

Sunday, September 4, 2011 2:09 PM
  • Hi, you can check if the following post helps:

Word 2010 Slow opening files on network share
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/officeitpro/thread/46c082ad-2455-4120-beea-c69ff2219ed9

There is another post indicates this as a known issue in Windows 7, with Office 2007 however.

Office 2007 applications hang when opening documents on network share
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/4adc021b-9be8-4dee-9ef8-adb3e028560d

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JSK5862 Friday, September 16, 2011 2:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by JSK5862 Friday, September 16, 2011 6:35 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Wow!  Thank you for pointing me to these articles.  There are definitely some ideas to pursue in the next couple of days.  I will report back after I've made the changes and the clients have had some time to check them out.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Installed two Microsoft hotfixes on each of the Windows 7 PCs on Friday, September 9th.  Will get final feedback from the customer tomorrow.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Customer confirmed today that they have had no problems for the past week.  The hotfixes I installed were KB 981872 and 982860, which updated mxsmb.sys, mxsmb20.sys and rdbss.sys.  I did NOT disable SMB 2.0 since this seemed like overkill.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 6:38 PM