Can unlock system after standby or manual lock RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer who has a Windows 8.1 laptop at the house that he uses to remote into the office, and this system is in a workgroup. The problem is that if the user locks the laptop or it goes into standby, as soon as CTRL-ALT is pressed, the screen says "Locking" and never gives us a chance to log in. System restore won't complete successfully (I had a previous post in Technet to troubleshoot this, but restore was never successful). I've attempted SFC /scannow, and some corruption was found, but the system wasn't able to fix everything. I've attempted to manually uninstall all updates and applications that were installed on or after this problem arose with no luck. I've attempted to run chkdsk /R, but it hangs at 10% - I left this running for around 2.5 hours, and it never got any further, so I terminated the process. I am unable to lock and log back in with clean boot; however, I can lock and log back in with Safe Mode. I've also attempted to create a new profile, and the locking also occurs with it. Does anyone have an idea as to what I might try? Thank you.
    Monday, May 15, 2017 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi baskervi,

According to your description, I find you have tried lots of steps. If the system restore can’t work, I suggest that we could try to In-place upgrade to repair the system files. Please check the link below about how to repair install Windows 8.1.

https://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/26095-repair-install-windows-8-a.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 19, 2017 7:48 AM
  • I am familiar with the in-place upgrade, but this hadn't crossed my mind. This is a Toshiba laptop, and there is a "Recovery Media Creator." In the process 3 discs are created, but there is no setup file on any of the discs. I presume I need an OEM disc, since the product key needs to be re-entered? I can purchase a Win8.1 disc from Toshiba for $40, which I'd prefer not to do, but I guess I don't have a choice. Thanks
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 11:26 PM
  • Hi baskervi,

It's OK.

If any further help needed, please feel free to post back.

Best regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:42 AM