Tempdb is growing crazy due to replication RRS feed

• Question

• I have 1 CAS and 1 Primary with 2 clients only... We have installed CM2012 in prepartion to migrate from SCCM2007 to CM2012...but when I was doing pilot DP migration, it failed due to some issue and now I have noticed that the tempdb is growing like crazy.. The Configuration Manager DB is just 5GB, makes sense, but the tempdb grew upto 200GB (only on primary) in size before I had to restart the box to avoid crashing the CM. The tempdb came to decent size after the reboot but unfortunately it started climbing everytime when replication kicks in.. I have to reboot the server every couple of hours to bring the tempdb down... cannot even shrink the tempdb and I am running out of the ideas ... I dont know if there is any transaction is locked or not but wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks

Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:01 AM

All replies

• I forgot to add the error showing in th RCMCTRL.log

ERROR: Received unhandled SQL exception, printing info and throwing it again. This will be retried in next cycle.

ERROR: Exception message: [Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

Failed to call Configure of RCM. error = Unknown error 0x80131904

Below is the status message sent..

"System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.~~   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection"

Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:12 AM
  • I have 1 CAS and 1 Primary

Why installing a CAS at all if there's only one primary site? Why have you decided to install a CAS?
    You could restrict the maximum size of the temp db, but that won't fix the initial problem. It's hard to tell here in the forums without knowing additional details. The logfile snippets don't help unfortunately.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:08 AM
  • I thought I gave details but anyways question was why the tempdb growing with data replication. The replication link analyzer was complaining to check primary for some issues. It seems like its now all set after few days and whatever was crashing the tempdp cleared itself.. The only changes I made was to change the data retention settings to 2 days seemed like resolved the issue. There must be something on Primary locked something in tempdb causing the issue... its all set now.

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:26 PM