Skype for Business Basic vs Skype for Business 2015 and beyond... (cross-posted in Microsoft Community) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

When I access to the Software management page of my professional Microsoft account, I see two Skype for Business options: Skype for Business Basic and Skype for Business 2015. I've already installed on my laptop Skype for Business for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11231.20164) 32-bit.

Please, am I updated? Should I install any of the options the portal is offering me? What is the difference between the three versions, the one installed and the two right now available at my software management account?

Thanks for your help!

Ricardo

Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Ricardo,

Do you mean you want to know the difference between Skype for Business basic, Skype for Business 2015 and Skype for Business 2016?

If yes, you could refer to the following description:
    1. Skype for Business Basic: Microsoft Skype for Business Basic gives you presence, instant messaging (IM), audio and video calls, online meetings, and sharing capabilities with the latest User Interface.. This is free download. You could download it from following link: Microsoft Skype for Business Basic
    2. Skype for Business 2015: when you install Office 2013 which include Lync client 2013, then you could download Microsoft package to update Lync Client 2013 to Skype for Business 2015. You could refer to the following official document to download the package: Skype for Business downloads and updates. The function between Skype for Business client 2015 and Skype for Business 2016 are same.
    3. Skype for Business 2016:  you could install Skype for Business client 2016 in the Office 2016 package.

In addition, you could refer the following official document to do the desktop feature comparison: Desktop client feature comparison for Skype for Business Server 2015

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Ricardo,

Do you mean you want to know the difference between Skype for Business basic, Skype for Business 2015 and Skype for Business 2016?

If yes, you could refer to the following description:
    1. Skype for Business Basic: Microsoft Skype for Business Basic gives you presence, instant messaging (IM), audio and video calls, online meetings, and sharing capabilities with the latest User Interface.. This is free download. You could download it from following link: Microsoft Skype for Business Basic
    2. Skype for Business 2015: when you install Office 2013 which include Lync client 2013, then you could download Microsoft package to update Lync Client 2013 to Skype for Business 2015. You could refer to the following official document to download the package: Skype for Business downloads and updates. The function between Skype for Business client 2015 and Skype for Business 2016 are same.
    3. Skype for Business 2016:  you could install Skype for Business client 2016 in the Office 2016 package.

In addition, you could refer the following official document to do the desktop feature comparison: Desktop client feature comparison for Skype for Business Server 2015

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 1:46 AM
  • Thanks, Evan! Your answer allows me to interpret better this other gotten in the answers.microsoft.com forum.

Ricardo Rodríguez
    Chief Operations Officer
    Galician High Energy Physics Institute (IGFAE)

Friday, March 1, 2019 8:39 AM