none
Exchange Office 365 Hybrid mode

Question

• Hi

not sure if this is the correct forum to target this question at but here goes....

We are looking at moving our exchange to office 365 we currently have a tenant which at the moment is not linked to our AD or has no connectivity to exchange.

I have been reading a lot of articles online about moving to hybrid but was wondering if there was anything stopping me from buying a new domain and using this to test the whole process of linking our exchange environment with office 365?

so for example if our business has an email address of jon.scott@abc.co.uk and this was currently configured for all users. if i then purchased a domain xyz.co.uk and configured it in exchange and on our DNS could i test the setup process for hybrid connectivity with the new domain and if so would this impact the other live domain abc.co.uk?

already have ADFS setup and understand that we would require AADC for syncing objects

thanks

Jason

Thursday, July 5, 2018 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

Did you add the xyz.co.uk as an authoritative accepted domains in your current abc.co.uk organization? For AAD connect, by using filtering, you can control which objects appear in Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) from your on-premises directory, so you can only sync the xyz.co.uk users to Azure AD:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/connect/active-directory-aadconnectsync-configure-filtering#domain-based-filtering

When running hybrid configuration wizard,  we can choose which of your on-premises domains you want to share between your on-premises organization and your Office 365 tenant. Share only the xyz.co.uk will not affect the abc.co.uk domain.

Configuring domains in the Office 365 Hybrid Configuration Wizard

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt591917(v=exchg.150).aspx

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 6, 2018 5:28 AM
  • Hi,

there is no need to worry about which is default domain and not in O365, since it can be changed.

If you want to test if its working, you can configure which OU to sync in Azure AD Connect. Then just have test accounts there.

If ADFS is already in place, users logging in to o365 will be redirected to your adfs server

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Friday, July 6, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Hi Thanks for your Comments

have been looking at the HCW but when i hit the section about adding an externally facing URL how will this work as my current cas servers have a certificate bound to them for abc.co.uk not xyz.co.uk? does this matter?

I have been following the article  below and the section Organization FQDN is the section that i am getting stuck on

https://www.codetwo.com/admins-blog/office-365-hybrid-configuration-wizard-step-by-step/#configuring-organization-relationship

Also do you have to use the HCW to place your Exchange environment in hybrid mode?

I have looked at the following article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow-best-practices/manage-mail-flow-for-multiple-locations#scenario3 and I think we need to go with scenario 3 for mailflow as all email will need to flow through our exchange environment due to us using exclaimer responder.

thanks

Monday, July 9, 2018 1:14 PM
  • Hi,

The exchange server that will be used to run HCW and also the one responsible for mailflow and migration needs to have correct name in the certificate.

If your Autodiscover points to on-premises exchange, these needs to be in your certificate as well.

When you create migration endpoint, it will usually be mail.domain.com and it has to be in your certificate.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

• Proposed as answer by Gavin-Gao Friday, July 13, 2018 2:29 AM
    Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, July 16, 2018 8:55 AM