General Logo Certification Questions RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello there,

I sent this message previously to mprsupport but haven't heard back so I thought I'd ask here. I’m currently undergoing the process to obtain Microsoft Logo Certification (Gold Competency) for Geocortex Essentials on Windows Server 2012 R2 and I have a few questions.

1. Previously for Windows Server 2008 R2, we were required to have a third party validation (an ISV) of our results before submitting, is this still a requirement?
    2. TC2.6 – Remove any 16-bit binaries installed by application. This test was considered a Fail however the files that were listed were in the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder which were not affected by the install and uninstall of our software; should I add comments to the submission package when false failures like this are present?
    3. I’m not sure what the additional requirements are for Gold Competency over Silver and is there a way to verify in the MPR if the result would indicate Silver or Gold level status before submitting for validation? In the Requirements document there is a section for support in Server Core however our software is web-based (installed in IIS and interacted with through browsers) so I wasn’t sure if this would apply in our case.
    4. Previously there were requirements for crash recovery and stress testing logs, have these requirements been removed?
    5. Apart from uploading the Test Results Package from the MPR tool, what other information should be included in the submission?

Thanks,

Stefan

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Stefan,

Not sure if you have already found your answers on our web page or on MPR site.

http://www.Microsoft.com/WindowsServer/ISV for Windows Server Logo Program.

1. No 3rd party validation required. Certification is now a simplified, self-test, using the MPR Tool.

2. Noise may be introduced into the test results from a new Server (or client) installation due to Windows Updates, adding Server Roles or Features, RDS redirection, System Maintenance, etc. Investigate folders such as C:\Windows\WinSxS to see if additional binaries were required to support your application, and if not, these can be considered 3rd party to include in a waiver.

3. All Gold level tests are optional for Logo Certification. ISVs seeking Gold level Microsoft Partnership can select certain Gold level test options which their application support. All Gold level requirements are listed per Platform on the MPR site, http://www.MicrosoftPlatformReady.com.

4. The Windows Server 2012 R2 testing is focused on new Platform compatibility. Crash recovery and stress logs among others are not required.

5. Limited waivers are available. For instance, if your application is failing MPR test purely from 3rd party binaries, please create a Test Results Package, upload the results to MPR site, complete and send a waiver for review.

Please see the Logo website above, and the MPR site to answer most initial questions to get started in Software Certification and Application Competency.

Thank you,

Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:14 AM
  • Thank you very much for your detailed response.

One final question for you related to #3. We intend support Server Core but were unclear on the expectations as far as installing and uninstalling using the command-line.

Currently, our software launches a Windows-based installer which requires user input in order to enter installation parameters and a post installer interface. According to (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/jj155465), we already meet the requirements as far as dependencies and from testing results, we are almost ready to submit a package; however, we do not currently have a fully automated installer using command-line parameters as is outline in the 'Requirements for Windows Server App Certification Program_Windows Server 2012 R2.xpn'. What is the requirement specifically?

Thanks in advance, Stefan.

Monday, March 31, 2014 10:12 PM
  • I ended up sending an email to mprsupport@microsoft.com. The response that I was given is that this is more of a best practice (full command-line execution). If you are able to install and uninstall your application on Server Core without requiring other graphical components, then you've essentially met this requirement.
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:25 PM