VPN server - windows server 2008 std RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

need some help here.

I've 3 servers (windows server 2008 std) on the office. One is the AD server/DNS/DHCP/VPN server (server 1). I've configured the vpn server and it's fully working on the server 1. I can capture the shared folders, i can browse the web, i can print.

I can ping the IP adress of server 2 and server 3. I cannot ping by the name. But my major problem is that i can't capture the share folders on server 2 and server 3. The profile of the user is ok (as i can use the VPN).

What am i doing wrong?

Best regards,

Gonçalo B

Sunday, April 12, 2015 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that VPN client can’t resolve internal names.

>Quote(reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb877961.aspx)
    If you use Domain Name System (DNS) to resolve host names or Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) to resolve NetBIOS names, ensure that the VPN server is configured with the IP addresses of the appropriate DNS and WINS servers. The VPN clients inherit the DNS and WINS server addresses configured on the VPN server. After connecting, Windows 2000 VPN clients also send a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) message to receive updated DNS and WINS server addresses from a DHCP server. In general, if name resolution does not work from the VPN server, it will not work for VPN clients.

Connect client to VPN, open CMD and type ipconfig /all to confirm the settings of DNS/WINS.

>Cannot ping by the name. Can't capture the share folders on server 2 and server 3.
    Have you tried to ping FQDN. Or, access the shared folder by Run IP path. Any error message?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:09 AM

All replies

• if you can ping by IP but not by name, it seems you have a name resolution problem. Check if the VPN client has a dns server configured (ipconfig /all) that can actually resolve the internal zones.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Monday, April 13, 2015 10:53 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that VPN client can’t resolve internal names.

>Quote(reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb877961.aspx)
    If you use Domain Name System (DNS) to resolve host names or Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) to resolve NetBIOS names, ensure that the VPN server is configured with the IP addresses of the appropriate DNS and WINS servers. The VPN clients inherit the DNS and WINS server addresses configured on the VPN server. After connecting, Windows 2000 VPN clients also send a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) message to receive updated DNS and WINS server addresses from a DHCP server. In general, if name resolution does not work from the VPN server, it will not work for VPN clients.

Connect client to VPN, open CMD and type ipconfig /all to confirm the settings of DNS/WINS.

>Cannot ping by the name. Can't capture the share folders on server 2 and server 3.
    Have you tried to ping FQDN. Or, access the shared folder by Run IP path. Any error message?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 2:09 AM