WEI only 3.0, was higher in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  My lowest WEI score is 3.0, and that's for my "Disk Data Transfer Rate."  Here's my system:

Dell XPS 410
    C2D 2.13 GHz
    2 GB DDR2
    nVidia 8600 GTS 256 MB
    320 GB HDD, plus ext USB 2.0 HDD's

I am dual booting XP Pro SP3 and Windows 7 on two partitions of the internal 320 GB, 7200 SATA drive.  I was just surprised to get such a low score.  Any ideas?  Everything is running fine with Win 7.  Just like to tweak.  Thanks.

Processor :             5.3
    RAM :                      5.4
    Graphics :               6.4
    Gaming Graphics :  5.5
    Primary Hard Disk : 3.0

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:54 PM

Answers

• What you have to do is actually UNCHECK WRITE CACHING. Make sure its unchecked. I had the same exact problem. With advice from another user i made sure it was unchecked and it worked.

Must be a driver bug or OS bug
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:40 AM

All replies

• What was your old vista score?

You can try this, go into device manager, Disk drives, right click your drive and goto polices and check enable write caching on the device. You can also check that the ATA/IDE section in device manager have dma enabled under advance settings.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Hi Wyodiver,

There is possibly nothing wrong with your system.  Microsoft updates the WEI from time to time to keep up with the speed of the latest technology.  I believe that the WEI now takes into account DD3 memory and the Core i7 cpu.

If you have not done so already, perhaps try unplugging your external USB HDDs before running the WEI test.

Henry

[CPU] - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB [MOBO] - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 F2 [RAM] - 2 x 2GB (4GB) Transcend DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz [GPU] - Galaxy Geforce 9800GTX [SFX1] - Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC889A) [SFX2] - ASUS XONAR D2 (USB2.0) [HDD1] - 500GB Western Digital 7200RPM / Partition 1 - WinXP Pro SP2 32-bit (Clean install) / Partition 2 - Win7 Beta (Build 7000) 64-bit (Clean install) [HDD2] - 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM [LCD] - 17" Samsung Syncmaster 240N [HID] - Microsoft Habu [KBD] - Logitech LX-710 Wireless Desktop [MIC] - ASUS Array Microphone
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:59 AM
  • What you have to do is actually UNCHECK WRITE CACHING. Make sure its unchecked. I had the same exact problem. With advice from another user i made sure it was unchecked and it worked.

Must be a driver bug or OS bug
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:40 AM
  • The new WEI algorithm for disks takes into account somewhat more information (such as latency) about disk performance. Therefore, some people will see lower disk scores than Vista on identical disk hardware. It shouldn't be a huge drop in the score, though.
    Wolf Logan, MSFT
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:49 AM
  • I have also a score of 3.0 with SATA drive configured in AHCI.
    Don't remember the Vista score as I only made a short Vista installation to "try". But I beleve it was higher. My main OS is XP SP3.
    But I think score mesurement cannot be made under XP.

I just unckecked Write caching and the disk score jumps to 5.9
    Not too logical but it works.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:52 AM
  • score on mine went also but i don't think anything is wrong. this is a new OS and new hardware is out since vista came out so it makes sense that NEWER hardware will receive a higher score

also, I THINK, vista only scores up to 5.9 but windows 7 scores up to 7.0 (i think).  somewhere i read that 7 now scores higher.
    can someone correct me on this????
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Same thing here.  Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 8GB RAM, 2 SATA hard drives, nForce 4 Ultra chipset (Abit KN9-Ultra), Radeon HD3650 512MB PCIe video card.  Disk score in Vista was 5.7, now it's 3.0.  Processor score actually went up from 5.2 to 5.7?

That disk score though is somewhat disconcerting, but I fear all too real.  In a dual boot setup with Vista x86 and Windows 7 64-bit, I used Nero vision to create a DVD from an .avi file.  The video was 1:22 (hr:min).  In Windows 7 it was well over an hour, and I was just over half done.  Switched to the Vista install and it completed in just over 45 minutes.  Clearly there are other variables here, one obvious one is that Win7 was using Nero 8 and Vista using Nero 9.   Also, the 64-bit Win 7 vs. 32-bit Vista (both Ultimate).  I could clearly see the video in the window as it was being encoded was somewhat "jerky" in Windows 7.  Given the size of the files and the disk usage during encoding, it leads me to believe that the lower disk score reflects a very real underlying issue.

Graphics scores were also down, but only by .6 and .5, and I attribute that to driver issues.  The ATI Beta driver that Windows Update recommended left me with an ugly situation where my Samsung LCD was not recognized and the display adapter in Device Manager had the lovely yellow exclamation point.  I had to uninstall and manually install the Catalyst 8.12 drivers to restore things to normal.

UPDATE:  It seems to be an issue with SATA disks.  I've seen a few rumblings around with folks having similar issues with SATA drives.  Strangely, my test work PC, which is only a single core Athlon 64 3400+, with 3GB RAM, and an older single 80GB IDE disk, which scored a 5.4 on the WEI for the Primary Disk.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:06 PM
  • for Hurricane Andrew and other people with low disk scores try a proper benchmark like si soft sandra .... my issue discribed below in detail...still un resolved and clearly a windows 7 issue rather than an updated benchmark from MS , the HD score in WEI is 5.9 with default graphics card driver , install the ATI drivers or any other driver other than "DEFAULT VGA DISPLAY ADAPTOR" and the WEI Score drops to 3.0.... .. this isnt the case with a single HD , the score will sit at arround 5.1 with an old SATA 150 40gb 2meg cache segate.

"listed below as i have posted in other sections of this forum"
    I've had problems with my raid array and my ATI 3650 AGP card also, beta 7 drivers work ok but give no hardware adjustments , using vista drivers also worked ok and gave the options normally associated with catalyst control center , however upon installing the ati drivers (or using adjusted drivers such as Omega drivers) for some reason my raid array performance was halved every time dropping to 50mb/s from 120mb/s transfer ...reverting the card back to default "Standard VGA Adaptor" returned the Arrays performance to normal again..... after trying every possible raid driver and ATI driver for the display adaptor and re-installing OS several times and changing all IRQ settings possible in the BIOS i gave up problem still unresolved.

This problem doesn't manifest itself under XP where normal ATI drivers + raid drivers live happily together and cause no problems !!

System:-

Abit AV8 3rd Eye socket 939
    AMD 64 3800x2 duel core @2.7ghz
    2GB OCZ ram
    ATI 3650 AGP 512mb DDR2 (powercolor)
    2x 160gb Seagate SATA300 drives (jumpered to 150 at Raid 0 )
    1x 200gb Seagate ATA133 Drive
    480w PSU

WEI scores =
    Processor:             5.7
    Ram:                      5.5
    Graphics:               5.1
    Gaming Graphics:  5.6
    Primary Hard Disk: 3.0

or.....without ATI driver....

Processor:             5.7
    Ram:                      5.5
    Graphics:               1.0
    Gaming Graphics:  1.0
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

strange how a video card driver can cause such problems , but they do.

Friday, March 6, 2009 11:41 AM
  • don't take the WEI too seriously.

example: my seagate 7200.11 scores 5.9. according to hd tuner pro, it averages ~100MB/s transfer w/ max ~130MB/s.  I switched to a 5400rpm wd caviar green, which doesn't break 100MB/s max.  both had similar access time.  but the wd also scores 5.9 in WEI.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 1:27 PM