none
Send Status for approval - need to go to Mgr, not PM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Using Server 2010, Single Entry Mode.  We have a large subset of Projects that we'd like Mgr A to be able to approve status updates for instead of the PM.  Team Members use % work complete, not hours, in their timesheets.  Team Members are using the Send Status button, not Send Timesheet button. 

All these approvals are going to the PM.  We have Mgr A as the timesheet mgr, and have even made Mgr A the Project owner to no avail.  I don't believe we can make Mgr A the Status Manager because that needs to be done in Project Professional by the NEW Status Manager (from what i have read).  And only the PM has Project Professional.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Monday, April 22, 2013 11:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Scott_CF --

To resolve this issue, Manager A must open each of the projects in which he/she needs to approve task updates and then do the following:

1.  Apply the Gantt Chart view.

2.  Right-click on the Duration column header and select the Insert Column item on the shortcut menu.

3.  In the list of available columns, select the Status Manager column.

4.  For the first regular task in the project, click in the Status Manager pick list for that task, and select his/her own name on the list.

5.  Use the Fill Handle to copy his/her name in the Status Manager column for all of the other regular tasks in the project.

6.  Save the project and then publish the latest information in the project.

After completing the above set of steps, all task updates from the project will be directed to Manager A.  Keep in mind that Manager A must repeat these steps in every project in which he/she must approve task updates.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:05 AM
  • Hi Dale,

I thought that the steps you listed can only be done in Project Professional.  Only our PM has Professional.  Is there a way to do this in PWA?

After reading quite a bit, i think the answer is probably no.  If that's the case, I'm thinking my best option is to have users use the Send Timesheet, instead of Send Status, and have the auto-approve rule on the Statuses (I know you dislike that rule).  That way the Mgr can be the Timesheet Manager and the PM won't get a ton of updates (she's deferring to the Mgr for these projects anyway).  Does that sound like a viable option?

thanks!

• Edited by Scott_CF Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:14 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Scott:

If you only have one PM, then create one rule that auto accepts and auto publishes everything from everyone for that range of projects. Done. Of course you need to deal with the schedule if you get bad updates.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:47 PM