none
Duration & %Complete calculations & Gantt chart progress in Project Pro 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Scenario: a 10 day task, res loaded at 8 hrs per day. At the end of the first week, the task is only 10% done (actual duration =1d, actual work =8hrs, rem duration =9d, rem work = 72h). we move the "uncompleted parts to the status date" function which splits the task leaving the completd day where it was and move the remainng 9 days out 4 days.  End result is duration is now 14 days, actual duration is 1d and remaining duration is 13 days; actual and remaingin work are 8h and 72hrs respectively.  %complete is recalculated to reflect 1d actual duration/14d  duration, i.e.. 7%.

My question relates to how the % complete value is used to portray progress on the gantt charts. when it was 10% the gantt chart showed the progress bar as expected, i.e. the work on day one was completed.  Once the uncompleted work was moved out and the %complete value updated to 7%, the gantt chart progress bar indicates that a portion of the work on the first day pf the task is not completed.

I can manually increase the %complete value to 10% get the prgress bar to show the 1st day of work as beeing completed, but then the actual & remaining duration field values reflect 10% & 90% of the 14 day duration respectively.

According to the MS project definition for duration, it is not supposed to include time between split tasks, in this case the 4 days of no work that was inserted when the uncompleted work was moved out.

I get similar descrepancies when I move completed work in the future back to the status date where the action creates a split task, in many instances the recalculated % complete results in the gantt chart progress line still showing completed work in the future.

Any thoughts?

Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:49 PM

All replies

• dfeigen115 --

In trying to duplicate your scenario, I do not see a Duration value of 14 days for this task.  I see a Duration value of 10 days, which would be expected, knowing that Duration is calculated as working days across the life of the task.  Perhaps you can explain a little more about what steps you have completed to create your problem scenario.  Also, please let us know what is the current level of Service Packs and Cumulative Updates on your Microsoft Project 2010 software.  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:27 PM
  •  

Dale,

What yo usaw trying to replicate the issue is what I expect to see also.  As to your questions:

We completed our migration to Project Server 2010 & Project Pro 2010 back in June. I've asked our IT guys to confirm, but I believe we're on SP1 and whichever CU was out at the time we performed the migration.  We have not done a CU implementation since the initial migration.

The condition is common to all of our projects. My view was conditioned to show duration & work, actual duration & work and remaining duration and work. For the data in the question, I created a 10d task (not baselined) that started 9/17/12 and ended 9/287/12. It was resource loaded w/1 resource at 8hrs/day. I set the status date to 9/22/12 and updated the %complete field to 10%.  This created the uncompleted work in the past condition. I then selected the task and used the "move incompleted parts to the status date" function which did as I expected, shifting the work out 4 days and updating the finish date to 10/4/12.  it was at this point that the duration, remaining duration and %complete values all recalculated to the values noted in the sample. 

I reviewed the task usage view to verify that the resulting split task did infact move the 9 remaining days of work to the "right" and that the dates for the original 4 days of work that was not completed showed zero hours.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:16 PM
  • dfeigen115 --

You use the terms, completed our migration.  Did you migrate these projects from Project Server 2007 or Project Server 2010?  I do not know if that would make a difference or not.  However, I can tell you that I still cannot replicate your problem using a project created originally in Microsoft Project 2010.  After moving the incomplete parts to the Status date, I still see the correct Duration of 10 days.

If you create a new project in Microsoft Project 2010 as an example, and then try the same scenario you describe, do you still see the same problem with the incorrect Duration for the task?  Let us know and we will try to help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Thursday, September 6, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Dale,

first, our IT folks confirmed that we are on SP1 and the CU currently installed was the one from April 2012.

As to the migration, all of the projects curently on the server were either migrated from 2007 to 2010 or were created "new" either from an existing project or template where the source project/template was also migrated from 2007 to 2010.

I have been able to replicate the results in a schedule created new in 2010 (not based on a prior schedule). Regardless of how I create the split task (moving uncompleted work out, moving completed work back, using the split task function, etc) the duration is recalculated to include the duration associated with the days of "no work" that resulted in the split.

Not that I expected to find one, but I can't find any type of server or project setting that would change how duration is calculated.

Dan

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Dan --

Well, I am flat out of ideas for you, my friend.  Since I cannot duplicate the behavior you see, I am clueless as to what to do next.  Perhaps one of the others in this forum might have a fresh idea or two for you, and if so, I trust they will share their ideas with you.  Sorry I cannot be more help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    msProjectExperts

Friday, September 7, 2012 1:24 PM
  • no problem Dale tanks for the effort - I'll keep researching.
    Friday, September 7, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Some followup information: 

The duration calculation appears to be correct if the task is defined as fixed work or fixed units, i.e. the recalulated duration value is the number of days of work from the start of the task to the end of the task excluding the portion of the task where no work is scheduled.   If the task is defined as fixed duration the recalculated duration is including (vs excluding) the split portion, even though MS Project specifically notes that it does not. 

I continue to research.

Friday, September 7, 2012 8:29 PM
  • As a workaround you could use the physical % complete which gets updated manually but leaves data unchanged

M.L. Pate

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:42 PM