QuickLaunch toolbars disappearing RRS feed

• Question

• I've got 3 QuickLaunch toolbars with my most used programs set up in my taskbar, but it has happened several times so far that they simply weren't there when I logged on to Windows. There wasn't anything unusual when I shut the machine down previously, so I see no reason why would they disappear.
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 6:35 AM

All replies

• Have you 'unlocked' the toolbar Properties to add them?
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Yes, I unlock the taskbar, add my 3 toolbars, drag them where I want them, disable text and titles and lock the taskbar again.

I did notice something though: the toolbars seem to disappear if on previous shutdown Windows alerts me that some program is blocking the shutdown, and I press Cancel to close that program myself (the usual offenders are TrueCrypt, which is asking me if the volume should be dismounted even though it appears in use, or VMWare Workstation, which for some reason goes into kind of frozen mode if I want to shutdown windows while it's running [even if no VMs are running], and will only exit when I choose to shutdown windows the second time - the same thing happened in Vista).
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:01 PM
  • You have probably detected some lack in the ACPI (shutdown) driver. You will have to keep checking the chipset device makers site for better drivers.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 3:11 PM
  • My machine shuts down normally, the problem seems to be entirely Explorer-related (not just that - the problem only happens when I do a clean shutdown or reboot - if I just pull the cord, the toolbars stay). There's also another problem, the taskbar height will randomly resize just enough that the notification area icons don't order into two lines.

My motherboard is Asus P6t (Intel X58-based), and I have the latest drivers installed.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:17 PM
  • I would try creating a new user profile to see if it happens there.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Another possibly related thing: I'm using the classic theme with medium fonts enabled (125%). I changed the window appearance so that the titlebars are the same size as with small fonts (that is, 100%). In Vista this caused the taskbar to also use the small size (it's icons were 16x16 pixels - this included the quicklaunch icons, application icons and notification area icons). In Windows 7, the taskbar sometimes looks like it did in Vista, and at other times the icons are larger (and look pretty bad due to bad scaling).
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 5:02 PM