Is cached exchange mode necessary to integrate SharePoint lists in Outlook 2007? RRS feed

• Question

• I work for an organisation that has Outlook 2007, Exchange Server and SharePoint Server 2007 running.

I'm trying to integrate SharePoint document libraries into Outlook (for offline editing, syncing etc) for the rest of my team members. I have connected the libraries just fine (actions > connect to Outlook) and they are showing up in Outlook and syncing correctly. Most of the team use laptops however, and I'm unsure as to whether cached exchange mode should be activated in order to facilitate proper online/offline documents library syncing through outlook for when they're out and don't have a network connection available. Is cached exchange mode necessary? What are the pros/cons? I'm concerned about disk space in the long-term as their mailbox grows along with the size of their document library. My primary concern is getting their documents synced properly with their SharePoint libraries.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm still learning how this all fits together, so any comments would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I've missed anything out - thanks.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that you want to know if it is necessary to turn on the Cached Exchange Mode .Here is my summary:

Cached Exchange Mode provides you with a better experience when you use a Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail account. If you work offline, whether by choice or due to a connection problem, your data is still available to you instantly wherever you are. If a connection from your computer to the computer running Exchange server isn't available, Outlook switches to Trying to connect or Disconnected. If the connection is restored, Microsoft Outlook automatically switches back to Connected or Connected. Any changes you make while a connection to the server isn't available are synchronized automatically when a connection is available. You can continue to work while changes are synchronized.

As for the concern of disk space in the long-term as their mailbox grows along with the size of their document library . You can change the setting for archive folders to save space on your computer. AutoArchive is a feature in Outlook that moves old mail and other items to a separate personal folder (.pst) file on your computer's hard drive, or a workgroup or departmental server. By default, it will prompt you before archiving items every 14 days and delete expired email messages from your mailbox. Your archive folders will be listed under "Archive Folders" in the navigation pane of your Folder list.

(Actually ,no matter we enable Cached Exchange mode or not, the SharePoint list will be saved as a .pst file on local folder after we connect it to Outlook.

Apart from that, the SharePoint list doesn’t belong to mailbox data. So our mailboxes will not grow when the lists grows .)

Best regards,

Ming

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:19 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 8:20 AM