No search service instances found in this farm. RRS feed

• Question

• In SharePoint 2019, I am trying to remove a corrupted Search Service. Getting the following error.

Remove-SPServiceApplication : No search service instances found in this farm. Ensure your farm topology contains at
    least one server assigned to a server role capable of hosting search.

Using UI also, it is getting deleted. Does the Clear Cache will help ?

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:49 AM

Answers

• I cleared Cache and run the Configuratiton Wizard. Still I was not able to delete the corrupted Search Service Application by using GUI and PowerShell. Finally using stsadm, I removed the search service application.

Now Get-SPEnterpiseSearchInstance shows Online and configuring Search.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Ghsajith,

The cause may be the timer service "instance" offline on the server.

You need to restart and clean it up.

More information you can refer to the below similar situation:

Can't remove search service

Please note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 6:48 AM
  • The below powershell is not giving any output.

$farm = Get-SPFarm
    $disabledTimers = $farm.TimerService.Instances | where {$_.Status -ne "Online"}

Before confguring the Search Server, SharePoint Server Search Status was  showing disabled. Do I need to start it from the Window Services ?

Also I am looking for the script to clear the cache for SharePoint 2019.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 9:46 AM
  • Hi Ghsajith,

You can try to start it first.

Information about how to clear cache for sharepoint server:

How to Clear SharePoint Configuration Cache using PowerShell?

Please note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, July 10, 2020 6:31 AM
  • This power shell does not work with SharePoint 2019. It is meant for 2013 version. The script refers 15 Hive Folder. However manually i cleared the cache. 

Still I am unable to delete the search service application. 

• Edited by ghsajith Monday, July 13, 2020 7:01 AM update
    Sunday, July 12, 2020 4:15 AM
  • Hi Ghsajith,

I would like to confirm some information with you.

1.Is "Search Administration Web Service for Search Service Application" listed and started under "Manage Service Applications"?

Please make sure the Search Administration Web Service is up and running.

2.What do you get when executing “Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication”? Is the SSA in the status “Online”?

You can refer to the document below for managing search components:

Manage search components in SharePoint Server.

This “SharePoint Server 2019” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards

Itch Sun

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 8:38 AM
  • I cleared Cache and run the Configuratiton Wizard. Still I was not able to delete the corrupted Search Service Application by using GUI and PowerShell. Finally using stsadm, I removed the search service application.

Now Get-SPEnterpiseSearchInstance shows Online and configuring Search.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

I'm very happy to see you solve this problem, thank you for sharing

You can mark your reply as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

This “SharePoint Server 2019” Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details.

Best regards

Itch Sun

We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 9:29 AM
  • Hi Ghsajith,

We are looking forwards to hear from you.

Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

If you have any updates about this issue, please feel free to reply. 

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Friday, July 17, 2020 8:24 AM