Windows Theme not applied after changing OS language RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a theme(.theme file) which I have created and applied on my system. However after I change the language from "Control Panel > Region and Language" setting, my theme which was applied goes away. I tried retaining the theme by Enabling below settings in Group Policy but was of no help.

- Prevent Changing Theme

-Prevent Changing Window Color and Appearance

Does anyone know the solution to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rommel;

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For the deny error message, it would be better to use Process Monitor to capture the trace and it would record the deny message when you encounter the error.

Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

If there is any difficult to use Process Monitor,please feel free let me know.

In addition, I'm not suggest you use 3rd theame in Windows 7, it's probably infect system stability with a lot of unknown problem.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:07 AM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the type of this theme, is it Microsoft Provided theame or it's 3rd product? According to your description, I doubt you are using 3rd theame that caused this problem.

Please check it, If there is any progress about this problem, please feel free let me know.

Roger Lu

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

This is a custom theme that I created. Just a .theme file. I noticed that upon changing language, the below registry values change which changes the theme.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
    "BorderWidth"="-12"
    "CaptionFont"=hex:f1,ff,ff,ff,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,90,01,00,00,\
    "CaptionHeight"="-312"
    "CaptionWidth"="-312"

Some workarounds that I found were that I should either merge the registry after changing the OS language or disable permissions for users not to change the above registry key. However if you do the latter, a message pops up stating "The visual styles could not be applied access is denied". Is there a way to suppress this message? Or is there any other way for the themes to still remain after OS language change?

Thanks,

Rommel

Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

For the deny error message, it would be better to use Process Monitor to capture the trace and it would record the deny message when you encounter the error.

Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

If there is any difficult to use Process Monitor,please feel free let me know.

In addition, I'm not suggest you use 3rd theame in Windows 7, it's probably infect system stability with a lot of unknown problem.

Roger Lu

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Tuesday, December 9, 2014 10:07 AM
    Monday, November 17, 2014 6:34 AM