none
Different # of Recovery Points in Same Protection Group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We've been testing DPM 2010 for 3 days now. We have one protection group for the SQL server with 8 databases, set 60 days disk retention/15 min backup.

From watching the videos, my understanding is that DPM uses both VSS and transaction logs to backup.

1. Some databases have 160+ recovery points, while others have only 3 (the # of express-full) I can't find any failures. Why is this?

2. In the 300 level SQL and DPM video, they describe how transaction logs can be played back one commit at a time. Is he getting those logs from DPM? Or are those only snapshots in time.

Thanks,

Charles

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1) this is indeed strange and should not have happened in my opinion. What you could do is to check if there were any failures during synchronisation/express full backup. Several time I had a situation in my environment where my SQL Proteciton Group would be green but when looking at the available recovery point I saw that several were missing.

To check for that go to tap Monitoring -> Jobs. In the actions menu (right hand) go to "create filter". In the new window enter a Filter name. Under "Time from" choose at least the last 3 days (or 7days as this is default available) to today. Under Jobs deselect "All" and only choose "Consistency check", "Recovery point" and "synchronisation". Under Status only select "completed" and "Failed". Unter "Protection" I recommend to deselect "All" and only choose your SQL-Server.

Then click save. This will show you all failed and completed backup/task. So you will see with one glance if you have backup/synchronisation tasks which failed. In case you have failures, you know why you got different numbers for your bakcups.

2) About this question I don't know that video. So maybe this information helps: the 15min backup you are revering to is no "Express full backup" of the SQL-DB data itself. It is the synchronisation of the transaction logs. So yes, DPM will backup those transaction logs of the DB's every 15 min. (SQL-DB backups can only be scheduled every 30 minutes). So as long as your SQL-server are running in full mode, then the synchroniation of 15 min will give you a "Just in Time" restore option (well, with 15 min synchronisation time interval it is close to just in time).

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Hi Charles,

Answers inline

1. Some databases have 160+ recovery points, while others have only 3 (the # of express-full) I can't find any failures. Why is this?

For Application datasources (like SQL in your example) every synchronization (incremental) is a recovery point. In order for DPM to perform incremental backups every 15 minutes the database Recovery Model needs to be set as Full. It the recovery model of a database is set as Simple, then DPM will bypass every synchronization job and only create recovery point for these databases during Express Full Backup.

You can check the Recovery Model of a database by opening Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, connect to your SQL Server then expand Databases.

Right click any database and select properties. In the properties window, click on Options. In the right hand side you will see the Recovery Model.

2. In the 300 level SQL and DPM video, they describe how transaction logs can be played back one commit at a time. Is he getting those logs from DPM? Or are those only snapshots in time.

Yes, logs are stored in the DPM server.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:42 AM
  • For Application datasources (like SQL in your example) every synchronization (incremental) is a recovery point. In order for DPM to perform incremental backups every 15 minutes the database Recovery Model needs to be set as Full.
    I've changed from simple to full, and created a resync job, but an hour later, I only see the new restore point. Do I need to stop protection and create a new protection group for it to recognize the change? (I'm surprised DPM didn't throw a warning when creating the protection group.)

Yes, logs are stored in the DPM server.

Are these not accessable through the front end? (used by DPM only?) Is there any way to compare changes between databases without restoring and using a 3rd party data-diff?

Thanks again,

Charles

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:27 PM
  • You will need to stop protection of those databases that had its Recovery Model set to simple (don't need to check 'Delete replica on disk') and add them back.

Send me the link of the video you are referring and at which minutes/seconds of that video they are discussing this so I can better answer your question.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:34 PM