I have a Announcements webpart/list and I want to be able to tell which users read a particular announcement RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using SharePoint 2007 and have used an Annnouncements webpart but i would like to know which users have read an announcement/item,

Any ideas how i would go about this?

Thanks in advance,

Chad

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:33 AM

Answers

• There isn't anything within SharePoint that will specifically state that a user did something to initiate the display of a document. (Again, the difference between opening and reading is nebulous.)

There are 3rd party tools, like Axceler ControlPoint and WebTrends, that proport to have this ability, but I've never seen it in action.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com
    Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

Monday, September 24, 2012 1:05 PM

All replies

• Well, without a brain scanner, there's no way to know that they ACTUALLY read it.  They can click on the link, it can render on their screen, but getting them to read it may require some hired goons or their mother twisting their ear lobe.

So, you could create your own webpart that renders the info, but has a special custom tracking link, such that when they click the link, it logs the user and item id to a list.  If you're not into custom development, then you can do it on the Q&D level by implementing check-out, requiring approval, or simply add a multiselect person field, whereas the user enters their name, implying that they have read it.

Easy Bins Dumpster Rentals of Northern VA. (Specializing in driveway-sized roll-off dumpsters.)
    Be sure to click one of them there forum buttons that artificially inflates my narcissitic ego... I mean gives me points.

Friday, September 21, 2012 2:17 PM
  • I just wanted to know if there was any usage reports I could run to find out who has read an announcement. Thanks anyway

• Edited by ChadPatel Friday, September 21, 2012 2:35 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 2:33 PM
  • There isn't anything within SharePoint that will specifically state that a user did something to initiate the display of a document. (Again, the difference between opening and reading is nebulous.)

There are 3rd party tools, like Axceler ControlPoint and WebTrends, that proport to have this ability, but I've never seen it in action.

Monday, September 24, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Thank you for your advise SClark_MCTS70-542.

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:01 PM