Office 2016 with embedded activation key still prompting to be activated RRS feed

• Question

• I provide IT support at a University and I have a user that recently upgraded to Catalina and also installed Office 2016 Standard for Mac that I provided him. We bought Office through a reseller we have been using for years. When we bought Office 2016 for Mac, the purchase information states that the activation key is embedded. I was able to install it on for a different user and never got an activation notice. Which makes sense. However, with this recent user, when he launches it, he gets a notice saying this Office needs to be activated. I should mention that I think he still has a version of Office 2008 on his Mac if that means anything.

When he installed it Office 2016, I also provided the update package for 16.27. This is supposed to make it usable on OS X Catalina. Prior to the update, the Office suite is unusable as each icon has a slashed circle symbol overlaid on it.

Now when he tries to use any of the office products, he still gets a notice that it needs to be activated. How can this be if the key is embedded? Did the update package strip something out? Is there some pre-exisiting component that is overriding the embedded key?

Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

Sunday, May 24, 2020 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

According to your description, it's likely that office 2008 is still installed on this user's device.

This user needs to completely uninstall Office 2008 (also uninstall Office 2016), restart the device after uninstalling and then reinstall it.

You can uninstall office by referring to the article below:

Uninstall Office for Mac

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Monday, May 25, 2020 1:56 AM
  • Tried that but had no luck. The product is still prompting to be activated.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2020 5:58 PM
  • Hi James,

If you still have this problem after uninstalling, I suggest you use the tools in the link below:

How to remove Office license files on a Mac

It helps you delete existing activation information and then you can reactivate it.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.                

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 2:59 AM
  • If the license is removed, how do I go about activating it again when the key is embedded in the install file provided by the reseller? They did not provide a separate key.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2020 4:57 PM
  • Hi James,

I'm sorry, I can't provide you with more information about reactivation.

I suggest you contact the vendor to reactivate Key for you, and if they can't provide it, I suggest you call Microsoft for this.

Activate by telephone

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Thursday, May 28, 2020 1:38 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread.

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Itch Sun

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 1:33 AM