Clicking a custom site setting gives unknown error. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a pre-production environment and a production environment in MOSS 2007. It is an intranet application.There is Site setting which is a custom application page in layouts folder. when i click it on production server it gives me unknown error but works on Pre-production without any error. it is a custom link in "Look and Feel" section under the Site settings.

Thanks

Amreesh Sharma

• Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:15 PM q
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:16 PM NEVER ask for urgent help. Repeat this too often and your posts will be deleted. Forums are not for urgent issues. Post and WAIT
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:01 PM

All replies

• Unknow error will not give us detail for trouble shooting.

check your ULS logs if you can find something and also you need to turn off the Sharepoint custom Error: follow the below mentioned steps

1. Navigate to the site directory.
    2. Backup web.config.
    3. Open web.config.
    4. Switch Custom Errors off. Search for “customErrors” and set the value to “Off” instead of “On”. You can also set the value to “RemoteOnly” to troubleshoot a production issue.
    5. Enable CallStack. Search for “CallStack” and set the value to “true” instead of “false”.
    hope this help
    thanks
    -ws

SharePoint administrator, MCTS,MCITP
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Monday, December 27, 2010 11:59 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 3:32 PM
  • hi Waqas,

I have tried this on the application server but not on the WFE's but it didnt resolve the issue. In our production env, we have one application server and two WFE's. The same is working on the pre-production server under the same configuration. Any alternative ideas.....

Thanks

Amreesh Sharma

Thursday, December 23, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Hey Amreesh,

We will need an actual error to be able to help you out. My guess is that the code in the page is "swallowing" the exception and hiding it from the user interface. See if you can debug or show it as "WS" pointed out.

Living the SharePoint dream...
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 8:58 AM
  • Hi Radi...

I get the following error on page:

The resource object with key 'GmtConnection_PageTitleInTitleArea' was not found. at System.Web.Compilation.ResourceExpressionBuilder.ParseExpression(String expression, Type propertyType, ExpressionBuilderContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.BoundPropertyEntry.ParseExpression(ExpressionBuilderContext context)
    at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.FillUpBoundPropertyEntry(BoundPropertyEntry entry, String name)
    at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.AddBoundProperty(String filter, String name, String expressionPrefix, String expression, ExpressionBuilder expressionBuilder, Object parsedExpressionData, Boolean generated, String fieldName, String formatString, Boolean twoWayBound)
    at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.PreprocessAttribute(String filter, String attribname, String attribvalue, Boolean mainDirectiveMode)
    at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.PreprocessAttributes(ParsedAttributeCollection attribs)
    at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.Init(TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, Type type, String tagName, String id, IDictionary attribs)
    at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateBuilderFromType(TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, Type type, String tagName, String id, IDictionary attribs, Int32 line, String sourceFileName)
    at System.Web.UI.ControlBuilder.CreateChildBuilder(String filter, String tagName, IDictionary attribs, TemplateParser parser, ControlBuilder parentBuilder, String id, Int32 line, VirtualPath virtualPath, Type& childType, Boolean defaultProperty)
    at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessBeginTag(Match match, String inputText)
    at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String text, Encoding fileEncoding)

Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards, Amreesh Sharma| MCTS MOSS 2007| SharePoint Administrator
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 6:05 PM