64-bit client considerations? RRS feed

• Question

• I hazily remember some Configuration Manager guru (Jason?) mentioning some considerations for deploying the 64-bit Configuration Manager client on 64-bit operating systems instead of the 32-bit client... I'm not finding anything on TechNet about it though - am I just imagining things? I have almost 100% 64-bit operating systems - I think maybe the recommendation was to standardize on 32-bit client (one thing to support/update instead of two things) if you have a balance of 32- and 64-bit clients to support.

born to learn!

Friday, January 15, 2016 6:37 PM

Answers

• You can't install a 32-bit ConfigMgr Client on a 64-bit OS. If the Operating System ist 32-bit, the 32-bit ConfigMgr Client will be installed. If the OS is 64-bit, the 64-bit ConfigMgr Client will be installed. Some Parts of the 64-bit Client might be 32-bit though.

There was a thread about this a few days ago with a Statement from Jason, if I remember it correctly. But I wasn't able to find it yet.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

• Edited by Simon Dettling Friday, January 15, 2016 6:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:58 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 6:43 PM

All replies

• You can't install a 32-bit ConfigMgr Client on a 64-bit OS. If the Operating System ist 32-bit, the 32-bit ConfigMgr Client will be installed. If the OS is 64-bit, the 64-bit ConfigMgr Client will be installed. Some Parts of the 64-bit Client might be 32-bit though.

There was a thread about this a few days ago with a Statement from Jason, if I remember it correctly. But I wasn't able to find it yet.

Simon Dettling | msitproblog.com | @SimonDettling

• Edited by Simon Dettling Friday, January 15, 2016 6:57 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, January 27, 2016 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:58 AM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 6:43 PM
  • I can confirm -- first that I'm not a guru :-) just an old troll although I'm not as old as Marcum and he's just old -- and second that the architecture of the client agent must match the architecture of the OS it is installed on; it won't install any other way.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:00 PM
  • I can confirm -- first that I'm not a guru :-) just an old troll although I'm not as old as Marcum and he's just old

I will agree too. To which statement, I will let you guess. <Evil Grin>

TGIF.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Friday, January 15, 2016 8:21 PM