Any good and free way to migrate SharePoint Server 2016 content/site collection/workflows, etc to another SharePoint Server 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need help with the best way to migrate SharePoint Server 2016 (Testing server) contents, workflows, libraries, sites or site collection to another SharePoint Server 2016 (Active/productive server). The main idea it's not to set everything manually again.

I hope i'll get help, thanks for your time!

Best regards,
    Luis.

Monday, February 25, 2019 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Luis.

You could simply perfom a backup & restore operation of the content databases from the testing environment to the Production one; then you'll mount the content databases under the SharePoint web appllications that are available in the production environment and you'll have all the content ready for you to use.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Monday, February 25, 2019 2:31 PM
  • Hello Luigi,

Thanks for your response.

Is it better to use the central administration option or using powershell? Also, is there any match or pre-recommendations that i need to fit first? The production server is empty, just configured and waiting the migration.

Regards,

Luis.

First of all, you should provision all the necessary service applications in the production environment too.
    I always prefer to use PowerShell and/or SQL Server Management Studio: PowerShell gives you more control compared to any other graphical tool.
    One obvious recommendation: check the upgrade level of the testing and production farms, both have to be at the same update level.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, February 25, 2019 9:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Luis.

You could simply perfom a backup & restore operation of the content databases from the testing environment to the Production one; then you'll mount the content databases under the SharePoint web appllications that are available in the production environment and you'll have all the content ready for you to use.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, February 25, 2019 2:31 PM
  • Hello Luigi,

Is it better to use the central administration option or using powershell? Also, is there any match or pre-recommendations that i need to fit first? The production server is empty, just configured and waiting the migration.

Regards,

Luis.

Monday, February 25, 2019 8:39 PM
  • Hello Luigi,

Regards,

Luis.

First of all, you should provision all the necessary service applications in the production environment too.
    I always prefer to use PowerShell and/or SQL Server Management Studio: PowerShell gives you more control compared to any other graphical tool.
    One obvious recommendation: check the upgrade level of the testing and production farms, both have to be at the same update level.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, February 25, 2019 9:14 PM