New-OfficeWebAppsHost and SfB Edge Server external access RRS feed

• Question

• Hey there,

i just found some informations about securing your WAC installation. But i just want to clarify it with your help.

We have 

1 WFE

1 Edge

Can i use the New-OfficeWebAppsHost -Domain "mydomain.local" on my Office Web Apps Server if i want to allow external users to present Powerpoint files?

Is the WFE establishing the connection to the WAC Server or is it the Edge Server or even the client himself?

Only if the first thing is right i could set this option or am i wrong about this?

Best regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan

OneDrive / Sharepoint Blog

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

"New-OfficeWebAppsHost" is used to add a host domain to the Allow List for an Office Web Apps Server farm.

Please add all SIP domain in this cmdlet.

Also, .local isn't used by public domain, you need to use the support SIP domain for SFB external access (such as .com).

If you want external SFB users share PPT, then the WAC Server need to be published through Reverse Proxy. The external users will upload and download PPT through Reverse Proxy.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"New-OfficeWebAppsHost" is used to add a host domain to the Allow List for an Office Web Apps Server farm.

Please add all SIP domain in this cmdlet.

Also, .local isn't used by public domain, you need to use the support SIP domain for SFB external access (such as .com).

If you want external SFB users share PPT, then the WAC Server need to be published through Reverse Proxy. The external users will upload and download PPT through Reverse Proxy.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Niko.Cheng Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:18 AM
  • Agree with Eason below. You need a Reverse Proxy to reverse proxy external WAC FQDN to internal WAC server over port 443. The Edge does not get involve in this process. It will require Front End external web service FQDN getting reverse proxy in to Front End server as well.

http://thamaraw.com

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:38 AM
  • Hello,

we are using a Sophos UTM as reverse proxy. Not sure if this is working. But i will test this out. 

Regards Stephan

OneDrive / Sharepoint Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:44 AM