none
DPM 2012 SP1 not filling tapes RRS feed

• Question

• I am assuming the problem solution approach might be similar to 2012 platform, on the other hand I am hopeful additional troubleshooting help may be available.

This is a fresh bare metal install of Windows 2012  Standard, SQL 2012 SP1 Standard (local) and DPM 2012 SP1 RU2. The problem I am seeing is a large file server (1.3 TB)  backup to tape will not use full tape capacity. Instead the tape jobs uses (i.e.  90 GB on a first tape then proceeds to another tape writing 250 GB etc.) This is one PG no problems with disk backups and the tape job will succeed it just uses way too many tapes. No problems during the install were observed - the hardware checks out on latest firmware, bios and driver levels.

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Welcome to the DPM Management Shell!

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\bin> Get-DPMLibrary -DP
    MServerName (&HOSTNAME) | select-object *
    WARNING: Connecting to DPM server: DPM07

Id                      : 3b4d3138-0d7d-4a68-b228-964d236b0976
    UserFriendlyName        : Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based)
    Name                    : Library: Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64
                              based): (Disabled)
    DriveCount              : 1
    SlotCount               : 24
    Status                  : Enabled
    VendorId                : Hewlett Packard
    ProductId               : Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series library  (x64 based)
    MachineName             : DPM07.yourdomain.local
    Computer                : DPM07.yourdomain.local
    AutoloaderLocation      : Port 2, Bus 0, Target 4, Lun 1
    Type                    : TapeLibrary
    SerialNumber            : MXA237Z0KM
    NumberOfIEPortSlots     : 0
    NumberOfChangers        : 1
    AutoloaderStatus        : Available
    ScsiPort                : 2
    ScsiBus                 : 0
    ScsiLun                 : 1
    ScsiTargetId            : 4
    IsBarcodeSupported      : True
    BarcodeStatus           : Available
    IsOffline               : False
    IsEnabled               : True
    IsDoorUnlocked          : False
    DoorStatus              : Locked
    DefaultUnlockDoorPeriod : 600
    ProtectionGroups        : YOUR_PG1;PG2 etc.

Sassan Karai

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

See if the tape drive is reporting IO error 0x8007045D which equals "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Please run the following commands on the DPM server.

Open an administrative command prompt acd CD to the DPM Installation folder path.

CD  C:\Program file\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Temp  (for DPM 2010 or DPM 2012 upgrade)
    CD  C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Temp   (for dpm 2012 and 2012 SP1)

find /I "0x8007045D" MSDPM*.Errlog >c:\temp\0x8007045D.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\0x8007045D.txt

See if there are any entries in the 0x8007045D.txt file.

Also search for "-2147023779" which is the decimal equivelent.

find /I "-2147023779" MSDPM*.Errlog >c:\temp\2147023779.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\2147023779.txt

Do the same for DPMRA*.errlog 

find /I "0x8007045D" DPMRA*.Errlog >c:\temp\0x8007045D.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\0x8007045D.txt

See if there are any entries in the 0x8007045D.txt file.

Also search for "-2147023779" which is the decimal equivelent.

find /I "-2147023779" DPMRA*.Errlog >c:\temp\2147023779.TXT
    Notepad c:\temp\2147023779.txt

If you find any of the above errors, please make the following changes and see if they correct the problem.

Save the below in notepad then save as BufferQ.REG on the DPM server.
    Right-click BufferQ.REG and choose the "merge" or open with.. registry editor option.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
    "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000003

Another fix that has worked for other customers (regardless of the tape drive manufacturer) in the past is to add the BusyRetryCount DWord to the Storport key for (all) the Tape device(s).

HP SUPPORT ARTICLE
    =================

From an administrative command prompt, run:    wmic tapedrive list brief

That will only list tape drives that are online and the ones you need to add the Storport key and BusyRetryCount value to are under the DeviceID column.

EXAMPLE
    =======

C:\Windows\system32>wmic tapedrive list brief
    Caption                                   DeviceID                                                            Id                                          Manufacturer  Name
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  SCSI\SEQUENTIAL&VEN_IBM&PROD_ULTRIUM-TD3\5&31CF2AFA&0&000001  IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  LTO           IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  SCSI\SEQUENTIAL&VEN_IBM&PROD_ULTRIUM-TD3\5&31CF2AFA&0&000002  IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  LTO           IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  SCSI\SEQUENTIAL&VEN_IBM&PROD_ULTRIUM-TD3\5&31CF2AFA&0&000003  IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  LTO           IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  SCSI\SEQUENTIAL&VEN_IBM&PROD_ULTRIUM-TD3\5&31CF2AFA&0&000004  IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  LTO           IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device
    IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  SCSI\SEQUENTIAL&VEN_IBM&PROD_ULTRIUM-TD3\5&31CF2AFA&0&000005  IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device  LTO           IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=254838&objectID=c01655150

Note: (The Storport key does not exist by default)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\<DEVICEID>\<INSTANCE>\DeviceParameters\Storport\
    Value - BusyRetryCount
    Type - DWORD
    Data - 20 Decimal (default) <---- Change to 250dec (0XFA)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Mike,

changing the BufferQueueSize and changing the BusyRetryCount didn't correct the problem.  I found out that HP released updated firmware in April this year for the library (MSL 2024) itself (not the drive). Currently running HP tape library support tools on Windows 2012 is tricky at best. Thankfully the firmware update can be applied via the web interface of the library. After applying the update the DPM 2012 Sp1 job finished without I/O errors and used only 2 LTO4 tapes instead of the earlier observed spread across 4 or more tapes for the same PG tape backup. The firmware bundle currently isn't listed following support links for Windows 2012 Server Operating System - it is listed for Windows 2008 R2 Server.   

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3936307&prodNameId=3663409&swEnvOID=4064&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-117183-1

Sassan Karai

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the update.

The results are encouraging  but the solution makes little sense. DPM writes data directly to the tape drive and a library update should not effect drive IO. However with that said, it could be that the library does some kind of polling to see what the status of the drive is and may interfere with current IO and the firmware did fix the issue.

keeping my fingers crossed for you. Keep us posted.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:58 AM