Archive Issues in Outlook 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Team,

The Size of my outlook.pst is around 8GB. I am trying to archive all my mails before April 1st, 2017. While Archiving from Mailbox Cleanup in outlook, although the file archive.pst is created but the size of it is only 256KB and not even a single mail is archived. Kindly help... 

• Moved by Steve Fan Thursday, January 11, 2018 5:08 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Sanjeev,

Are you trying to archive to a specific PST file? If this is the case, we may also try to archive to a new PST file to see if this issue continues.

In addition, I'd recommend you try using the Inbox repair tool to scan and repair your Outlook data file and then test it again. For your convenience:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Repair-Outlook-Data-Files-pst-and-ost-25663bc3-11ec-4412-86c4-60458afc5253

Regards

Saurabh

Please remember to mark the solution as the answer using "Mark as Answer". If you find a solution to be helpful, please use "Vote as Helpful".

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, January 12, 2018 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

By default, Outlook archive old items based on the modified date instead of the received date. However, the modified date of emails could be changed due to several factors, such as a mail scanner. I'd recommend you modify the follow registry key to force Outlook to archive based on the received date, and then test it again.

(Important Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences

Value name: ArchiveIgnoreLastModifiedTime 
    Value type: REG_DWORD 
    Value: 1

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Saurabh_Y Friday, January 12, 2018 7:39 AM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:37 AM
  • Hi Sanjeev,

It seems your PST file gets corrupted. Anyways, may I know which Outlook version you are using? So that I can give you the exact solution. By the way, you can opt for Microsoft's in-built utility called ScanPST.exe to fix this issue. Here you can follow this given link to know how to perform ScanPST.exe utility (Applicable to Outlook 2002/2003/2007/2010 and later versions). https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/272227/how-to-repair-your-outlook-personal-folder-file--pst

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

Regards

Mukesh Nailwal

Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

First, you should try the solution suggested by "Steve FAN (Moderator)" to fix the issue.

Still if you get problem then without spending your valuabe time on anywhere, please try best and perfect solution i.e; split Outlook PST file using PST splitter tool. This software divide your Outlook data file(.pst) by size, year, folder and date. This tool also allows email filter option, as you want to archive mails before April 1st 2017.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks & Regards,

Kelvin Howard

Friday, January 12, 2018 5:22 AM
  • hi Sanjeev,

probably due to some issues, your outlook database has been hit. you need to repair your outlook files properly. chances are you might lose them permanently.

here are few things I would like you to read:

Repair outlook data files

how to repair your outlook database in windows(.pst)

hope that helps

Friday, January 12, 2018 6:58 AM