Windows xp not recognizing 4GB ram RRS feed

• Question

• I am upgrading a computer from 2GB to 4GB ram. The BIOS recognizes the memory as 4GB dual channel interleaved, but when I get into windows it only shows 2GB.

The OS is Windows XP SP3

there is no onboard video controller

dxdiag tells me video card is an nvidia 7800 GTX with 256MB of ram.

I read about the video card address space issue but it doesn't account for the difference. It should still be at 3.5 or 3.75 GB available to the system.

I have tried enabling the /PAE and the /3GB flags in the boot.ini file one at a time and together.

I have also tried manually setting virtual memory to a different size as well as disabling it.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:43 PM

Answers

• According to Dell, the old Dell XPS 600 PC can only use up to 2GB  Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM.

Carey Frisch

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:31 AM
  • Directly from page 80 in the Owner's Manual found @ http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-dxg/manuals :

Addressing Memory Configurations

If you are using a 32-bit operating system such as Microsoft® Windows® XP, your computer will support a maximum of 2 GB of memory. If you are using a 64-bit operating system, your computer will support a maximum of 8 GB (2-GB DIMMs in each of the four slots) of memory.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Nothing about the OS matters.  64 bit or 32 bit or anything else.  As Carey pointed out, the hardware only supports up to 2 GB.  You could have Windows 8 on there with 64 GB chips installed and it still would not work.  You will never be able to see more than 2 GB on this motherboard.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, December 23, 2013 3:30 PM

All replies

• davectek,

Have you tried switching the modules around on your MB?? Also check if the modules are sitting correctly on the MB slots.

Bob.

Robert Brindle. MCSE, MCSA & MCP/Cisco CCNP & CCNA.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:59 PM
  • yes I have tried them in the same channel and in diff channels. OS still sees only 2GB

Since I posted I have run memtest86 v4.20 and it recognizes all 4 gigs. I don't know if this is a 64bit program or not.

I also used a knoppix boot CD v3.3 which is 32 bit and /proc/meminfo also only shows 2GB ram.

So I feel like I'm getting mixed results.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:01 PM
  • What is the exact make, model, and series of your system/motherboard?

Is there a Memory Hole remap option in the BIOS?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, December 19, 2013 2:38 PM
  • The model # of the MB is not available. The system is a Dell XPS 600.

There are zero options for memory in the BIOS aside from seeing what is recognized. No options that can be changed.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:32 PM
  • According to Dell, the old Dell XPS 600 PC can only use up to 2GB  Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM.

Carey Frisch

Friday, December 20, 2013 2:31 AM
  • I would verify two things. 

1. Is this a 64-bit version of Windows XP?

2. Is the BIOS currently up-to-date?

Good luck!

Monday, December 23, 2013 2:59 PM
  • hi davectek

i think you're running 32 bit version of windows XP.

in order to support 4GB of RAM & more, you have to install 64bit version of windows XP.

and no, you can't upgrade 32bit version to 64bit version...you have to do a fresh install.

this post is provided as is, with no warranties/guarantees

Monday, December 23, 2013 3:12 PM
  • Nothing about the OS matters.  64 bit or 32 bit or anything else.  As Carey pointed out, the hardware only supports up to 2 GB.  You could have Windows 8 on there with 64 GB chips installed and it still would not work.  You will never be able to see more than 2 GB on this motherboard.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, December 23, 2013 3:30 PM
  • Directly from page 80 in the Owner's Manual found @ http://www.dell.com/support/my-support/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-dxg/manuals :

Addressing Memory Configurations

If you are using a 32-bit operating system such as Microsoft® Windows® XP, your computer will support a maximum of 2 GB of memory. If you are using a 64-bit operating system, your computer will support a maximum of 8 GB (2-GB DIMMs in each of the four slots) of memory.

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:47 PM