Bypassing the filter RRS feed

• Question

• I find SteadyState much harder to set up for different users than SCT.  There should be a better way, as in SCT, to go in and set up a user's desktop, etc.  With SCT, I was able to set up a user that could use Internet, one who could not use the Internet, and one who could use the Internet and bypass the CIPA required filter, since we are required to be able to do so upon request.  How can I do this in SteadyState?  I have to set up a proxy server for this one user only.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:15 PM

Answers

• I don't think that's the solution.  I want to bypass the filtering software that runs on our T1 line so that ALL sites are allowed, even ones normally filtered.  What I did, on advice of another GA library user is:

Created a new user - Unfiltered with no restrictions

Logged out as administrator and in as Unfiltered

Went into Tools/Internet Options/Connections

Under LAN settings, filled in the address for the site which allows unfiltered access

Logged out as Unfiltered and back on as administrator

Placed restrictions on the Unfiltered account as needed

Thanks anyway.

JCLS-BB

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:21 PM
  • Hi JCLS-BB,

Thank you for your detailed steps to get this issue fixed.

Please understand that SteadyState is designed for environment without proxy server. From your description, it seems your network already has a proxy server configured. The proxy server filters some websites. However, the Internet is still accessible without the proxy server, thus the proxy server filter can be bypassed.

Please understand that as the “Prevent Internet access (except Web Sites below)” option uses non-exists server to block Internet access. It will not work under your environment.  If this option is used under environment without proxy server, it will block the Internet accesses except for those allowed sites which have been added to the proxy server’s “Exceptions” list.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi JCLS-BB,

Actually, SteadyState is more powerful than the previous version (SCT).

Set up a user which is able to use the Internet
    --------------------
    By default, a new created user with High Restrictions has right to access the Internet.

Set up a user which is unable to use the Internet
    --------------------
    1. Open SteadyState with an administrator account
    2. Click the user account you would like to configure.
    3. In the Feature Restrictions tab, select
    Prevent Internet access (except Web sites below).
    4. Leave
    Web Addresses Allowed as blank.

When you set the
    Prevent Internet access (except Web Sites below) option, the system will set the proxy server in IE to a non-exist one (NoInternetAccess) and add web sites allowed to Exceptions. The Use the same proxy server for all protocols option is checked. This way, all website accesses except for those allowed sites are blocked.
    Set up a user which only allows some websites
    --------------------
    After selecting the
    Prevent Internet access (except Web sites below) option, we can add the allowed websites to the Web Addresses Allowed box. Use ; to separate the links if you have more than one allowed websites. Thus, only the allowed websites can bypass the non-exist proxy server.

For your information, if you only would  like to block some websites, please refer to the following thread to use the Content Advisor feature in IE:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1902683&SiteID=69

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Friday, August 31, 2007 2:13 AM
  • I don't think that's the solution.  I want to bypass the filtering software that runs on our T1 line so that ALL sites are allowed, even ones normally filtered.  What I did, on advice of another GA library user is:

Created a new user - Unfiltered with no restrictions

Logged out as administrator and in as Unfiltered

Went into Tools/Internet Options/Connections

Under LAN settings, filled in the address for the site which allows unfiltered access

Logged out as Unfiltered and back on as administrator

Placed restrictions on the Unfiltered account as needed

Thanks anyway.

JCLS-BB

Friday, August 31, 2007 1:21 PM
  • Hi JCLS-BB,

Thank you for your detailed steps to get this issue fixed.

Please understand that SteadyState is designed for environment without proxy server. From your description, it seems your network already has a proxy server configured. The proxy server filters some websites. However, the Internet is still accessible without the proxy server, thus the proxy server filter can be bypassed.

Please understand that as the “Prevent Internet access (except Web Sites below)” option uses non-exists server to block Internet access. It will not work under your environment.  If this option is used under environment without proxy server, it will block the Internet accesses except for those allowed sites which have been added to the proxy server’s “Exceptions” list.

Best Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:24 AM