Directory Browsing within sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently in the process of training our users to use sharepoint 2007. We have a training site setup. After the user completes the training they are given the appropriate rights to the sites that they will be members of and are removed from the training site as a member.

The problem we are having is that if they added a link within the content editing while they are in training, sharepoint is remembering the directory IE: Document Library in training. Because we are removing them from the training site when the try to browse a directory in the site we give access to after training, then are given a fobidden dialog. Essentially we have to leave them as members of the training site in order for them to browse directories in their content areas. Does anyone know how to get around something like this. Please let me know if your require further information to assist.  Thanks

Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:29 PM

All replies

• Maybe it would be useful if you gave us the structure of your sites.

So for instance is the training site a sub-site of a site they will later have access to ?

One thing I can imagine is that if the training site is in its own site collection, you might not have the problems you are having.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Hi callaway59,

Thanks for your post.

Here is the summary issue as I understand.

There is a Document library in the training site. During the training time, the users had permissions for the document library (or site), so they can access to the document library. Now, they are removed from the site members, as a result, they cannot access to the document library. Am I right?

The users only can access the document library, where they have read permissions at least.  In your situation, I suggest back up the training site collection, and then create a new site collection based on the backup. now, there will be two site collections, one is for training, the other is for accessed after training.

Of course, you can also a  group with “Read” permissions in the site. When the training is finished, all the users will be moved to the group.

Share your views.

Thanks,

Wayne Fan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 20, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Wayne - Your are almost correct, yes the users have access to the document library when they are in the training site. Once they are removed they no longer have access which is what we would like.  The problem is that when they browsed to the document library in the training site sharepoint appears to remember the last browse directory.

When they are completed training and added to their sites as memebers (site1), and try to access the library in site1. The user clicks the browse button and sharepoint is trying to find the document library that they last visited which is in the Training site which they no longer have access to...They are then presented with a 404 forbidden error because sharepoint is looking for the training site library because it was the last locatoin the user.

I agree that a new site collection would probably solve this issue, however I was hoping to find a solution (workaround) to assist those who are trying to create content in their sites and access the libraries. Any help would be appreciate. 

Friday, January 20, 2012 2:19 PM
  • Hi callaway,

According to your reply “remember the last browse directory”, it seems the customer try to access the site by “history” in IE browser, not access the site by entering the url. In that case, I suggest you clear all the IE temperature after the training . Also add the site url to the “favorite” in IE.

Share your views.

Thanks,

Wayne Fan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wayne Fan

TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:35 AM