inability to download updates and programs RRS feed

• Question

• Two problems are going on, closely related to each other, I believe.

One, I cannot download updates to existing programs, or download programs directly to the Programs folder in C:.  Instead, all downloads go to the download folder, and any attempt to open the program and let it "run" or "install" from the downloaded program folder in "downloads" aborts without explanation.  The program will not start, and when trying to install, the 'wizard' appears for a split second then the process aborts.  All of this is attempted with the anti virus and malware programs disabled.  I even tried downloading with the firewall disabled (yeahIknow: foolhardy) and it is the same deal.

Two, possible explanation:  I am the ONLY user of this desktop.  It is not on a network.  I am denominated "administrator" but the system does not allow me full administrator privileges.  So then, how do I fix "2" so I can accomplish "1".

I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit, SP1 on Dell Inspiron 630  2.60 GHz Pentium with 4. 0 G memory

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:09 PM

Answers

• Make sure that there is no malware in your system.

Try a system restore.Select any restore point when there was no such issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, June 23, 2014 8:05 AM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

Though you mentioned that you're "administrator", I still suggest you check whether you're the administrator, you can try to open device manager, if you're, then you can access device manager, if you're not, then you'll be denied. or run cmd lusrmgr.msc, check all the users in the system, or just go to control panel\user account, check the accounts. seems you don't have appropriate permissions, such as you're unable to write data on program folder and unable to execute exe file.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:36 AM

All replies

• Make sure that there is no malware in your system.

Try a system restore.Select any restore point when there was no such issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:21 AM
  • Hi,

Though you mentioned that you're "administrator", I still suggest you check whether you're the administrator, you can try to open device manager, if you're, then you can access device manager, if you're not, then you'll be denied. or run cmd lusrmgr.msc, check all the users in the system, or just go to control panel\user account, check the accounts. seems you don't have appropriate permissions, such as you're unable to write data on program folder and unable to execute exe file.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:36 AM