Installing Windows 7 onto a secondary harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install Windows 7 to a secondary HDD from the primary one?

Also, I get an error before i can install anything.
    I am trying to mount the .iso file virtually but when ever i try to run the iso i get the error message:
          "This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade you need the correct installation disc. For more information check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced)."
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:40 AM

Answers

• HiddenFear,

Installation from a virtual drive is not supported, not least of all because Windows 7 breaks compatibility with many current image mounting solutions. Please burn the installation DVD and install Windows 7 normally - many have recommended the IMGBURN software for this purpose.
    -Alex
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:38 PM

All replies

• HiddenFear,

Installation from a virtual drive is not supported, not least of all because Windows 7 breaks compatibility with many current image mounting solutions. Please burn the installation DVD and install Windows 7 normally - many have recommended the IMGBURN software for this purpose.
    -Alex
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:38 PM
  • It seems that You are trying to install x64 version of Win7
    from 32bit Vista or XP. This is impossible: setup.exe
    is the 64bit application in this case and can not start from 32 bit OS.
    You can do it this way only for 32bit version of Win7.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Sure, you can install Windows 7 on a second drive (supposed you've a working OS on the first drive - it's not necessary but let's suppose it anyway). The way to do that was described by Alex: Insert your installation DVD, select "custom install" and proceed.
    But what's that with "trying to mount the .iso file virtually"? You may be acquainted to this procedure by using other ISOs for other purposes; as a nostalgic type I'm used to run my old 8- or 16bit console games (even the 32bit ones) from an emulator that uses ISOs this way... but that's another case. You don't need to mount anything and, most assuredly, you cannot "run" an ISO that way you imagine it. An ISO isn't an executable file, contains no executable files, and therefore can't be "run" by any secret process. You have to extract it before any use. Emulators do that "in the background", but again: That's another field.
    Mobile AMD64 3000+, VIA Apollo K8T800 chipset, 1 G RAM, ATIRadeonMobility 9700, 20x DVDRW, C:XPSP3 (55G),D:WIN7 (25G),F:DATA (250G)
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 9:46 PM